Run space requirements for HAPPY hens

Reading these replies is a good reality check. Nope, not cannibalizing each other or beating each other up, and since "the incident", haven't lost any to predators.

I had planted lots of grass, and despite trying to keep it up, not a shred is left. I love the idea of rotating closed off growing areas - I'll definitely do that. Also love the idea of buying some live crickets. (They got a mouse the other day - what a chase scene - I cannot believe what serious hunters they are!)

More creative on the enrichment side sounds like the way to go. When it finally starts raining we'll start getting worms - that'll be fun. I do spend time with them daily, and good solid time on weekends, but I'm not much more creative than scratch or some hunks of alfalfa hay (from the horses) - can do better here.

Happy chickens are important to me, as I have them as pets / sanity keepers to help balance out a hectic high tech life.
I find small pallets are infinitely versatile for turning into climbing frames and lean-to's Any Posts, RailwaySleeper or Rounds offcuts sat upright or on their side make great perches for a bit of diversity too. Wooden benches and ladders... anything they can climb, they will infinitely love. It's a bit of an obstacle course in there.
A covered dedicated dustbath is great -mine tend to go for a bath every time there's a rainstorm.
As I'm limited to 6, I made my run as accommodating as possible from the get go size-wise - 5x6 meters, which my first 4 birds thoroughly enjoyed. Now there's 3 chicks and I've had no integration issues, even with zoning off a quarter of the run for revegging, my big girls don't feel stressed by the newcomers. Ultimately, once the boys are gone and my roster is full, I'll still have around 5sqm per hen.
They also get monitored free-range of the backyard on a regular basis.
I'm lucky to 'not' have to contend with much in the way of predators here, but I still take all the precautions.

For people without space restrictions that do still keep their hens contained, wondering how much space you're giving them?

I have four hens in a 8' x 16' coop/run combo that is 6' high (so people can walk in, and the chickens can fly). This is 128 square feet total, and comes out to 32 sq ft per hen. The coop/run includes two roosts, two waterers, a feeder, a jungle gym with swing, a planter box (with herbs when it's not winter here), a dust bath, and an area filled with rocks and pine shavings that i hide treats in for them to scratch for (not many, no more than a few ounces once in a while).

They seem to like this arrangement. I have not noticed any evidence of bullying, and not even any evidence of a real peck order. They all act like a bunch of friends and despite all the space, they HAVE to do everything together! Everyone gets along great.

You're lucky. I tried free ranging my birds here and we have coy-dogs and bears that destroy fences. A german shepherd sized hybrid came out of the woods after about 20 minutes of supervised freerange and went after my birds, then switched to my kids in their wading pool so I had to go take him to task with my feet and fists. I didn't connect, but he fully intended to fight me for the privilege of attacking my swimsuit clad 4&5 year old like a vicious dog (and other scary non-freerange related run ins followed with coy-brids that I won't put here). So now I know we free range we risk getting mauled (animal control and fish and wildlife won't help us because if you have chickens or livestock it's open season on your kids apparently). We also had a hawk that would rip through snow fence and fly back out with carcasses like an addict-5,6+ per day...he was just hanging them in threes around the property and leaving them to rot. And yesterday while I was locking up I got the privilege of hearing my neighbor's dog get killed by a bear-and we're only two miles out of "town"! And if we shoot stuff people nearby go crazy for animal rights (what about my kids rights to play 20 feet outside of the door of their own home in broad daylight without an armed guard?). And we're still working on getting the "town" to let us put up a fence so our pyrs can roam and work for added safety (all are part of a town in Mass, no matter how rural and town govt is heavy handed).

So no free ranging for us, kids or birds or stock. I fear my poor LGD's won't last long...and that poor neighbor dog...I'm never going to forget that sound. Sometimes you just can't free range. And if you can't, 8-10 sq feet of space per bird I find is a good number. It's very small, but it seems to keep the peace. Probably more for more tenacious breeds.

I free range. I get losses.:(
Should there come a time when I have to confine some chickens I think the point others above mention regarding having an interesting and protective run are probably more important than space.
I may have a pair of game fowl next year which cannot be free ranged while I have the current chicken arrangement I have. I'm looking at 48 sq meters ( approx 500 sq feet) for two fowl. The plan is to fence in an area of land that already has well established shrubs, trees, etc, rather than strip and level a piece of ground and put a fence around it.

Reading these replies is a good reality check. Nope, not cannibalizing each other or beating each other up, and since "the incident", haven't lost any to predators.

I had planted lots of grass, and despite trying to keep it up, not a shred is left. I love the idea of rotating closed off growing areas - I'll definitely do that. Also love the idea of buying some live crickets. (They got a mouse the other day - what a chase scene - I cannot believe what serious hunters they are!)

More creative on the enrichment side sounds like the way to go. When it finally starts raining we'll start getting worms - that'll be fun. I do spend time with them daily, and good solid time on weekends, but I'm not much more creative than scratch or some hunks of alfalfa hay (from the horses) - can do better here.

Happy chickens are important to me, as I have them as pets / sanity keepers to help balance out a hectic high tech life.
We make ours play areas..since they can’t be free range..it’s a fenced in area that keeps growing size and every week we move it so they have new grass..they love to dig a new hole to lay in!

I completely understand abiding by minimum posted space requirements for chickens for folks in urban environments. I'm lucky enough to be rural with acreage, so I'm really trying to figure out the right amount of space for my girls to keep them as happy as they can be.

I tried free-ranging for a short period of time, and despite having very happy hens temporarily, my reward was coyote eaten hens. I can't go through that again.

I started with a 20' x 30' space for my 17 girls (no roosters). They just seemed cramped. So I expanded out another 16' x 16'. That gives them 50 square feet per hen. As I watch them fly around, and race back and forth following my movements outside, it seems adequate, but I still question whether it is enough.

For people without space restrictions that do still keep their hens contained, wondering how much space you're giving them?
I have 86 birds and 1/2 acre (90ft X 250ft). So about 250 sf per bird. They are happy.

One aspect that is sometimes overlooked when you’re needing to confine your birds is your birds’ individual temperaments. Is your alpha hen one that wants to see another chicken RUN from them, or, are they content with another hen just diverting their gaze?

The more hens you have with stronger personalities or the more bullies you have, the more space you will need.

lots of animals are like this. I could have 8 of my horses together in one stall until I add one mare. If she is in the mix, the horses are constantly moving around, even over a 5 acre field.

Back
Top Bottom