Run square footage and head space Q...

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I know the general rules, 10sq ft per bird in run. My Q is...can I count square footage UNDER my coop? I just built an attached run, and I fenced off under the run as well. Under the run is their favorite place to hang out when they are not ranging...they dust bath under there and just sit. I know they love it. I am wondering though, do I count it as part of my run square footage? It is tall enough for them to walk, bath, and sit, but not fully stand up.

Thoughts?

I’m not into magic numbers of square feet per chicken as you can probably tell by following the link in my signature. There are just too many variables in the flocks we keep for any magic number to work for all of us. What they need is enough room to get away from or avoid a bully and enough room to not be bored.

Since they are using it, that is usable space. It’s good usable space. They enjoy being under there so they are not bored. They can get out if they need to.

I’m not into magic numbers of square feet per chicken as you can probably tell by following the link in my signature. There are just too many variables in the flocks we keep for any magic number to work for all of us. What they need is enough room to get away from or avoid a bully and enough room to not be bored.

Since they are using it, that is usable space. It’s good usable space. They enjoy being under there so they are not bored. They can get out if they need to.

Thanks :) They also are spending a good time INSIDE the coop even with door open to outside area, so that is one area they can retreat to, but I am not counting that, but I guess that is a consideration as well. :)

I counted the area beneath my coop as part of the 10 sf/chicken activity space outside the coop. This 4'x4' area has a 2' vertical clearance, chickens can stand up fully, enjoy their dirt bath, or run around freely underneath without banging their heads. If the headroom is very limited, I'd probably will look for additional ways to extend their activity area vertically such as adding a roosting bar in the run.

My run is 4' x 6' x 6' high, shield on the windward sides with clear corrugated plastic panels. I put treats and grits in a tray on a swing next to the roosting bar so that my chickens would have to do some "parkour" to get to the goodies. They are trained to jump up to eat out of my hand, or line up on the roosting bar to wait for their treats. I also sprinkle a handful of grains on the ground in the afternoon so they can forage. Since we don't free range, I try to keep them occupied by providing a more 3-dimensional activity space. My girls prefer to be outdoor during the day.

Back
Top Bottom