Run Stinks

Wyoyell

Chirping
Oct 12, 2019
Hi...I have four chickens that are almost 19 weeks old. We have a tiny back yard but we built a coop that is 4 x6 and a run that is 8x8. Is this run to small for four chickens because the run stinks and I make a habit of raking it out every night after they go to bed So I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. The floor of the run is dirt but here in west Texas we don’t get a lot of rain so it’s dry. What can I do to help with the smell?. Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.

Is your coop well ventilated? The smell could be trapped inside especially if you have unfinished/plywood.
No...no plywood, but the run is cinder block fencing on two sides of the run. We built it in the corner of the fence line.

Hmm..I agree with more ventilation. You could also try some sweet pdz it’s supposed to help keep smell down. I also really like pine shaving for helping to keep smell down.

Can you use the shavings in the run.....? And what size, I‘ve read where some people say to use the chunky pine mulch, or just the regular pine shavings from TSC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom