Run Stinks

Can you use the shavings in the run.....? And what size, I‘ve read where some people say to use the chunky pine mulch, or just the regular pine shavings from TSC.
You can use either or. It can be cheaper to do big chunky pine as sometimes you can get it free from the city, but it's usually moist and it needs to dry out. The pine shavings are easy to layer if you're interested in the deep-litter method, but hard to contain and the birds will track it everywhere. Pros and cons!

I started with shavings but now use whatever yard debris I have and constantly top it off with new stuff. They like to dig around in it and turn it regularly to keep it clean.

Can you use the shavings in the run.....? And what size, I‘ve read where some people say to use the chunky pine mulch, or just the regular pine shavings from TSC.
This is what I use. I really like them because they absorb the smell in the run/coop. They run about 4-5$ a bag (in my area).

Attachments

• 4A2FEA98-6548-4E48-A1DB-AC70E2C02705.jpeg
    4A2FEA98-6548-4E48-A1DB-AC70E2C02705.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
Feeding mine fermented feed has significant reduced poop odor. I also layer the floor of my run with leaves, and there is no odor (unless they just laid a fresh cecal), I believe you can do the same with pine shavings etc.

You can use either or. It can be cheaper to do big chunky pine as sometimes you can get it free from the city, but it's usually moist and it needs to dry out. The pine shavings are easy to layer if you're interested in the deep-litter method, but hard to contain and the birds will track it everywhere. Pros and cons!

I started with shavings but now use whatever yard debris I have and constantly top it off with new stuff. They like to dig around in it and turn it regularly to keep it clean.
Thank you...🙂

This is what I use. I really like them because they absorb the smell in the run/coop. They run about 4-5$ a bag (in my area).
This is almst too much to put into my coop. I bought a couple of these not realizing how much is actually in it. My coop is 24 sq. ft. and one bag was enough to have bout a three. Inch layer.

Excuse the weird grammar, punctuation. My keyboard, tablet, and/or internet is jumpy. It’s so bad I should just put that dusclaimer in my siggnature.

This is almst too much to put into my coop. I bought a couple of these not realizing how much is actually in it. My coop is 24 sq. ft. and one bag was enough to have bout a three. Inch layer.

Excuse the weird grammar, punctuation. My keyboard, tablet, and/or internet is jumpy. It’s so bad I should just put that dusclaimer in my siggnature.
Lol....know the feeling. Thank you very much for your help.

You need bedding in the coop and run.

Wood chips, wood shavings, straw, pine straw, fall leaves, ... whatever dry, brown, carbon-rich organic material you can readily obtain.

Search "deep litter" and "deep bedding" on these threads to find detailed explanations of how this works. :)
Thank you...

Back
Top Bottom