worms7

Songster
May 22, 2015
england
I am in the prosses of putting a run on my shed the main 4 posts
are going to be made out of 4x4 but can the other lenghs of wood
be a smaller thickness to keep cost down
cheers Phil

Sure. How long is your run? (I assume you are talking about the corner posts) Though some people will look down on it, I personally used landscape timbers for most of my run. They were about $3 each. I set them in concrete to slow the decay process. They won't last as long as treated 4x4 posts, but they will last long enough for my purposes. There are other options too. Like using a 2x4 set on a concrete block at every other post position.

I am in the prosses of putting a run on my shed the main 4 posts
are going to be made out of 4x4 but can the other lenghs of wood
be a smaller thickness to keep cost down
cheers Phil
That would depend on what the other lengths of wood are supporting.
At 20 feet long, I'd think you'd need more than 4 posts.

Last edited:
What size do you make each section
do you make them the width of the
welded mesh/hardware cloth with a
brace in the middle
cheers Phil

Yes, at least. Hardware cloth here comes in rolls, so if that's what you are using, split the 20' up in to 5' sections using 10' long 2x boards for your top supports. If you are using welded wire panels, obviously put a support at each edge and then at the halfway point in the middle.

What size do you make each section
do you make them the width of the
welded mesh/hardware cloth with a
brace in the middle
cheers Phil

Yes, at least. Hardware cloth here comes in rolls, so if that's what you are using, split the 20' up in to 5' sections using 10' long 2x boards for your top supports. If you are using welded wire panels, obviously put a support at each edge and then at the halfway point in the middle.

Make a plan, a very well thought out plan, for the framing based on the mesh sizes you have.
It's most secure, and easier to install, to have a framing member at each edge of mesh.

Back
Top Bottom