run

johnluke77

Hatching
May 19, 2015
I am new to raising chickens and very excited. I am finishing my coop and about to start the run. I have read many post and looked at all the great pics. I am going to use the hardware cloth. I read some people have bought from Wayfair and that's my question is the quality of the cloth gooD, it is 19 guage. If I buy from a home improvement store the price is outrageous. Any comments and suggestions are very much appreciated

Hi and welcome!
I purchased my hardware cloth through Amazon. Great quality and less expensive than the box stores.
Enjoy your chickens and ask lots of questions.

As another newbie, has anyone used welded wire for their run "walls"? We are planning to bury chicken wire 2 feet deep around the perimeter, then 4ft of welded wire fencing then aviary netting over the top. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for letting me in on this thread :)
Alison

That's what I am going to do but I am also going to add tin or something for roof as well. We're going to start out with 4-6 hens and see how we do. Good luck.

As another newbie, has anyone used welded wire for their run "walls"? We are planning to bury chicken wire 2 feet deep around the perimeter, then 4ft of welded wire fencing then aviary netting over the top. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for letting me in on this thread :)
Alison
Chicken wire is not for protecting chickens. Digging predators can go right through it.

We decided to go with 1/2 " hardware cloth, I got black vinyl coated for aesthetics but it should last longer as well. I looked all over for the best deal I ended up ordering from essential hardware. They had a special and it had free shipping. They might still have the special going on i should be getting it friday. its 19 gage, galvanized after weld then vinyl coated.

Back
Top Bottom