1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner duck adult height

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have seen some good photo's of runners here - wow, and thanks!

In the process of designing and building Little Fort Knox and the Duck Inn, I would like to have some true-to-life measurements to work from. Online I have read that runners reach 14 inches, 24 inches, 34 inches. That is quite a spread, yes? [​IMG]

Some of the dimensions I have chosen have more to do with my size, since I will be the duckherd here. But it would be good to have real numbers.

I am reading and re-reading Holderread's book - Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and he has some good information but doesn't go into detail on height (good grief, there is so much detail in there, already, this is not a complaint), unless I missed it somewhere.

I'll send this on with appreciation for all you duck afficionados (and afficionadas).

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

that's funny, because I had thought I had read their height in Holderread's book, but looking through it just now, I don't see it! I'm thinking 17 inches, but that doesn't seem right either... dunno why that number is stuck in my head. When I let everyone this morning, I'll take my yardstick with me and see how tall my tallest male is. [​IMG]

3. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Okaay Rainplace, you go measure them but we won't believe the result unless we get PICTURRRRRES. I want pictures of ducks bein measured. Pleeeeeeees?
    Speshly Molly and Apollo. They my favourites.
    [​IMG]

4. rainplace

Quote:Goodness gracious, my little flock of 27 or so have gone absolutely wild. It's gonna be hard enough getting that stick next to them. If they see an evil camera and an evil stick at the same time, they might just gang up on me, and I'll never make it back.

5. rainplace

Oh yeah, I can get pictures of Molly, Crackers, Choopiter, Ranaya, and Rommy whenever I like, they still love me [​IMG] But if I have that stick... I dunno.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes I have had to take a picture of an animal standing near something of known height. That at least approximates height. I would be happy with an estimate within a few inches, give or take. Thanks, intrepid one!
    [​IMG]

7. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    You could get a marker pen and draw where they reach on your leg and then measure that lol. [​IMG]
    We tried to train our ducks to run when they see the evil stick. They don't. Just now me and my husband were tryin to get em out of the paddlin pool and into bed by wavin the evil stick over their heads. Nothin. Then he stuck it through the run wire and pushed at their butts. Nothin...except for them cursin us! Nope, they make us go put our wellies on, wade on in and drag their butts out. In fact they sit there waitin to be picked up. Think they consider it like a concierge service: 'See that I'm returned!' [​IMG]

8. rainplace

Okay, I think Apollo is 27 inches. I put the yardstick at the door so when they came out I could see how tall they were. I then placed it near where they eat and took a second reading. Apollo is 27 inches give or take a small bit. I think Jack is taller, but he's wilder than Apollo since he wasn't here in the summer when I use to walk everyone to the park.... I wasn't able to get near him at all.

edited to add that all the females are of course shorter.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

Sounds like if I estimate 30 inches, we should be in good shape. If all the females I ordered turn out to be females (90% guarantee), we should have plenty of head room, even with deep litter.

I plan to jot a note in my Raising Ducks book. I appreciate the trouble you went to. Hope all continues well for you and yours.

10. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Interesting, might have to remember this myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by