Runner duck egg pip

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
How long can it take from an external pip to hatch? My runner duck egg pipped yesterday and pipped alittle today but still is in the same spot. My temp is at 97 humidity is at 78

Humidity may be a bit high. I keep mine around 60-65 for ducks. Temp isn't as important at this point so 97 should be ok. I've had ducks take a full 2 days to hatch before. They take about twice as long as chickens usually. As long as you are still seeing movement or hearing peeping it will be fine.

Humidity may be a bit high. I keep mine around 60-65 for ducks. Temp isn't as important at this point so 97 should be ok. I've had ducks take a full 2 days to hatch before. They take about twice as long as chickens usually. As long as you are still seeing movement or hearing peeping it will be fine.

I thought the humidity should be higher in duck eggs. Its still moving but i think it might be swrink wrapped.

If the membrane was still white it was not shrinkwrapped. A membrane will turn translucent & begin to yellow if it is too dry (shrink wrap). It will stick to the baby & not let it move to free itself from the shell.

Too high of humidity however, will cause the baby to drown inside the membrane due to too much moisture for their lungs to handle. I have found that chicks hatch best for me around 50% & ducks around 65%. I have hatched chicks & ducks at the same time tho with humidity around 60% with everyone doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom