Runner duck laying soft shell egg

@New duck mommy 2021 is giving one of her females calcium lets see if she sees this tag.

I feed a chicken layer to all my birds have done this for probably close to 10 years mainly becasue I buy non-GMO and I can only get it in chicken feed. I have had a few ducks lay a soft shell but very few and far between Mine do have oyster shell out all the time so it may not be the feed if your feeding a good quality. I would love to use an all flock but can't get it in NON-GMO and I am just weird I guess but I can't eat GMO and don't want to feed it to my birds or other pets I have.

I think every person who has poultry that lays should always have Calcium Gluconate in the frig. That way you always have it when needed.

I came across a video not long ago
their ducks were laying soft shells but had access to crushed oyster shells
They were told low D was causing the issue
They started to give a D supplement and eggs went back to normal
If there is a low D issue they won’t be able to absorb the calcium no matter how much they eat
My duck that’s having very weak shells to soft shells has a back story that lead to possibly low D issues
I have 15 girls , provide crushed oyster shells and feed grower / finisher feed as well as give nutritional yeast weekly and in winter 5-7 days a week in feed
My girl dasher was the only one with this issue that started last April after the vet gave her Lupron shots
( long story behind it ) it never stopped her from laying but it changed her eggs ever since
This girl has also been laying eggs with no break since April of 2022 almost 2 years straight even when she was sick with aspergillosis
( reason the vet tried to stop her from laying while they tried to fix her aspergillosis issues )
Her sister has started to lay a weaker egg as well now ( not soft but not strong hard shells ) She has also been laying since April 2022
The rest of my girls are fine but have taken the winter break like they should including other sisters
I started ti give dasher 1 ml of poly D sol infant vitamins 400 units
I was giving a supplement in water that’s a calcium/ D combo but my boys don’t need it and my other girls were fine and started to lay extra calcium on the egg shells
So not needing to treat my whole flock I decided ti focus just on dasher
Since starting her eggs are slowly getting better. It’s been a week of round 2 this way and no more soft shells breaking inside her
Shells are still a bit weaker but hard
You can try giving a lower dose of 0.5 and see if it helps
If no change after a week then go up to 1 ml
I haven’t started nugget on it yet as her shells are weaker they are still hard shells
My vet said 2 weeks at a time
Then break a week
These are the products I use
The chickNSwell is a great one but again I didn’t need to treat the whole flock
With it being winter I couldn’t bring her in for a few days then back out because of the temp difference
I didn’t want her separated from the flock for months being inside until temps warmed up

Attachments

• 2D9D8039-CEC2-456D-8B05-5498ACE6D748.jpeg
    2D9D8039-CEC2-456D-8B05-5498ACE6D748.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 87E20812-4B6A-4B48-BDDD-18B4390085B7.png
    87E20812-4B6A-4B48-BDDD-18B4390085B7.png
    496.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Give it to her and [all your birds can have it too,] till she is laying good hard shell eggs for at least a week.

If at all possible I would still try and get calcium gluconate. If you ever have one egg-bound this is the best way to get the egg moving.

Give it to her and [all your birds can have it too,] till she is laying good hard shell eggs for at least a week.

If at all possible I would still try and get calcium gluconate. If you ever have one egg-bound this is the best way to get the egg moving.
She’s been on Calcium Gluconate since Mon; poultry cell since Thursday.
This was her egg today.
3BBA02E6-F719-48F9-B4B7-370F65BC482C.jpeg 79F4D97A-0334-4369-A9FD-8332573CD78A.jpeg

In the poultry cell is there vitamin D? You might want to stop the cal glu.
And give Vit D like @New duck mommy 2021 recommended
We’re not vets all we can do is help by recommending things we’ve tried that have worked or haven’t. The cal glu is good for egg binding we know that.

How much Vit D is in Poultry cell you might want to just give her that for a while and see if it makes a difference if it has a good amount.

Last edited:
In the poultry cell is there vitamin D? You might want to stop the cal glu.
And give Vit D like @New duck mommy 2021 recommended
We’re not vets all we can do is help by recommending things we’ve tried that have worked or haven’t. The cal glu is good for egg binding we know that.

How much Vit D is in Poultry cell you might want to just give her that for a while and see if it makes a difference if it has a good amount.
Yes it has some.
So far neither have helped. Not sure what to do. 86A0D135-80B8-43A4-B25B-357783A17197.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom