Runner duck legs ?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I was curious about asking this... and I do have runner ducks but I'm more interested in the details you know and so I thought I'd see what you think.

With muscovies one of the reasons they didn't penetrate going farther north is that their leg muscles are partly outside the body whereas mallard species are in the body. This means mallards are more adapted to cold resistance, where muscovies are more adapted to tropical, etc.

How do runner duck legs fit into this?

When I watch runner ducks they do move completely different. I see my welsh ducks and others that I'd tried very much have that waddle effect where their leg joints don't move so well. But when I see the runner duck legs their joints are very up and down almost like a bicycle pedal. They don't waddle much at all, except that when they run their head and neck will bob a bit side to side, for the 'tall and tippy' effect. Its interesting. The effects of the physiology differences must have something going on? What do you think?

I'm also curious why everyone thinks all runner duck genes HAVE to be stretched really tall in order to be pure?

The runner ducks I got were from a good hatchery, but I've noticed that the runners I have don't always stand straight up as high as possible all the time. (Though they can sit up straight.) It seems just like people there's some that slouch, and some that don't. And well, I'm not sure how to make of this with comparing them with what you think as good runner duck genes...? (But regardless of slouch and not slouch or genes, I can see clearly the leg joints are all runner duck joints and don't waddle, but instead 'pedal' so I don't understand why this isn't more clear to people also?)

Thank you.

Runner ducks move differently for two reasons:
1. Body shape
2. Legs are set farther back

This also plays into your question on why they are judged by stance. Their high upright stance in conformation allows for their legs to be farther set back then other breeds which in turn thus gives them their signature run vs. the usual duck waddle.

They never naturally migrated because they originated in The East Indies. Due to the fact that Runners are poor flyers especially over long distances and the East Indies are islands well...it's kind of hard for a bird to leave an island if they can't fly. They could technically swim, but ducks don't exactly swim to explore new boundaries and charter new territory. Plus the distance alone they most likely wouldn't make it just swimming.

"With muscovies one of the reasons they didn't penetrate going farther north is that their leg muscles are partly outside the body whereas mallard species are in the body. This means mallards are more adapted to cold resistance, where muscovies are more adapted to tropical, etc."

Wild muscovies have only recently extended their range into the USA -- principally Texas. I would not be surprised if they continue to extend their native range further into the USA. Wild muscovies are migratory birds and so cold in winter would not be a problem as they would migrate south again each fall.

I know members here who have Muscovy up in Canada and Alaska.
@Alaskan for one. I think they can adapt pretty well to all temps as long as they can get out of the weather if they chose to. Talking about domestic Muscovy's not sure how far North Muscovy travel in the wild. I know that the only ones protected are the ones that migrate into parts of Texas.

How do runner duck legs fit into this?

Muscovy genetics have nothing to do with runner ducks.

Runner ducks are descended from Mallards.

Runner ducks function differently from other mallard derived ducks because runner ducks have been domesticated and selected for their specific body type for hundreds of years.

Selective breeding is truly fascinating, and is capable of some incredible changes.

I'm also curious why everyone thinks all runner duck genes HAVE to be stretched really tall in order to be pure?

Every breed that has a breed association, has a breed standard.

A breed standard occurs when breeders of the breed in question get together and discuss what makes their breed unique.

The committee of breeders agree on a breed standard.

Then, serious breeders, who wish to raise that breed, use the standard to help them determine which traits are important.

Not everyone will agree with what is on the breed standard (often referred to as the SOP or the standard of perfection). However, if the standards are completely ignored, and there are no guide points, then all we will have are mutts.

Back
Top Bottom