Runner Duck went broodie

josh

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
I went to check my ducks. I have 2 runner ducks missing. My female left about 2 weeks ago. Now today my male is gone. No feathers laying aroung anywhere. But I did find the other female setting. But here is the deal. One of the muscovy nest boxes blew over and the egg got in the water. She Started laying in the runner box. So I took the runner eggs out and left the scovy eggs because everything you read say most runners won't go broodie. So she is setting on 5or 6 scovy eggs and one runner. What would you do about this? Let her set the scovy eggs or take them and let her set the one runner egg or take the ones out of the bator an put back under her?

My Runners always did a fantastic job at hatching eggs, I don't know why so many think they don't go broody or sit well. I'd let her sit if I were you, but if the ones in the 'bator aren't as far along or are farther along than the ones under her it could cause problems. Incubators do staggered hatches, birds don't.

I went to check my ducks. I have 2 runner ducks missing. My female left about 2 weeks ago. Now today my male is gone. No feathers laying aroung anywhere. But I did find the other female setting. But here is the deal. One of the muscovy nest boxes blew over and the egg got in the water. She Started laying in the runner box. So I took the runner eggs out and left the scovy eggs because everything you read say most runners won't go broodie. So she is setting on 5or 6 scovy eggs and one runner. What would you do about this? Let her set the scovy eggs or take them and let her set the one runner egg or take the ones out of the bator an put back under her?
That’s up to you. She just can’t have both Runner and Muscovy eggs. I would probably take the runner egg and put it in a incubator if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom