1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner Duck went broodie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by josh, Apr 22, 2011.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I went to check my ducks. I have 2 runner ducks missing. My female left about 2 weeks ago. Now today my male is gone. No feathers laying aroung anywhere. But I did find the other female setting. But here is the deal. One of the muscovy nest boxes blew over and the egg got in the water. She Started laying in the runner box. So I took the runner eggs out and left the scovy eggs because everything you read say most runners won't go broodie. So she is setting on 5or 6 scovy eggs and one runner. What would you do about this? Let her set the scovy eggs or take them and let her set the one runner egg or take the ones out of the bator an put back under her?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My Runners always did a fantastic job at hatching eggs, I don't know why so many think they don't go broody or sit well. I'd let her sit if I were you, but if the ones in the 'bator aren't as far along or are farther along than the ones under her it could cause problems. Incubators do staggered hatches, birds don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by