Runner Duck

Cathy59

Hatching
Apr 18, 2022
I have 1 male runner (Donald) and 2 female runner ducks Daisy and Daphne. The females both started sitting so I left the eggs to see what would happen. To cut a long story short only one hatched. I call it little Lucy, hatched 15th May. Up until yesterday Donald accepted and protected little Lucy but now he’s started to attack it. Little Lucy has changed colour from yellow to white but as yet I haven’t determined the sex. Could Donald already know the chick is male and that is why he has started to attack it or is there any other reason. Usually I free range all my poultry but because the ducks all getting along so well and the duckling can’t be free ranged until 8 weeks ive left them all in the pen together. Please advise. Ps I have now taken Donald out of the Duck side of the pen and put him in with the chickens for the moment

I have 1 male runner (Donald) and 2 female runner ducks Daisy and Daphne. The females both started sitting so I left the eggs to see what would happen. To cut a long story short only one hatched. I call it little Lucy, hatched 15th May. Up until yesterday Donald accepted and protected little Lucy but now he’s started to attack it. Little Lucy has changed colour from yellow to white but as yet I haven’t determined the sex. Could Donald already know the chick is male and that is why he has started to attack it or is there any other reason. Usually I free range all my poultry but because the ducks all getting along so well and the duckling can’t be free ranged until 8 weeks ive left them all in the pen together. Please advise. Ps I have now taken Donald out of the Duck side of the pen and put him in with the chickens for the moment
If Lucy is quacking she is a female if the quack is really weak then it’s a boy

If Lucy is quacking she is a female if the quack is really weak then it’s a boy
Little Lucy has now got a quack and no curl on her tail feather, so she is definitely a girl. But unfortunately every time l let Donald into the duck pen he attacks her and I have to step in and remove him, I even tried letting them all free range together but he just would t leave her alone, but when I put him back in the pen to give him time out and let the 3 girls enjoy running around they all hid, I could not find them anywhere, in the end I had to let Donald out, he called them and they all came out of their hiding place, within minutes Donald was attacking little Lucy again. So now I keep him separate from them in the pen on a night and only allow Daphne to free range with him and the chickens through out the day. When will Donald accept his daughter and allow her peace.

Little Lucy has now got a quack and no curl on her tail feather, so she is definitely a girl. But unfortunately every time l let Donald into the duck pen he attacks her and I have to step in and remove him, I even tried letting them all free range together but he just would t leave her alone, but when I put him back in the pen to give him time out and let the 3 girls enjoy running around they all hid, I could not find them anywhere, in the end I had to let Donald out, he called them and they all came out of their hiding place, within minutes Donald was attacking little Lucy again. So now I keep him separate from them in the pen on a night and only allow Daphne to free range with him and the chickens through out the day. When will Donald accept his daughter and allow her peace.
Ok. Is she grabbing their necks and jumping on their backs?

Lol no he’s not trying to mate her, he’s grabbing her wings and ripping the feathers from her back. Tonight I put him in with the girls while I could keep a eye on them to try and get him to be nice to little Lucy, he chased her all around the pen and into the hut then he stood at the entrance and wouldn’t let her out. He fine with Daish ( little Lucy’s mum) and Daphne, he just got a problem with the chick. Her wings aren’t fully developed yet so she can’t move quick enough to keep away from him. I just daren’t leave Donald alone with her.

Drake jail until fall. Donald has decided he does not want her in the flock and will not stop until fall. Then, as if by magic, drakes become gentleman until early spring. I would not risk little Lucy being injured.
Thank you so much, looks like when little Lucy is 8 weeks old she and her 2 mums will be free to roam around the orchard and Donald will have to stay in the pen. Will feel sorry for him but it’s his own fault. I’ve tried to intricate them again this morning but he just won’t have it. Do you think he be ok with her next year or not.

Thank you so much, looks like when little Lucy is 8 weeks old she and her 2 mums will be free to roam around the orchard and Donald will have to stay in the pen. Will feel sorry for him but it’s his own fault. I’ve tried to intricate them again this morning but he just won’t have it. Do you think he be ok with her next year or not.
It is hard to know. Right now she is at the bottom of the pecking order. She will get bigger and more confident which could make things better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom