Runner duckling can't walk properly

lollypop1478

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
U.K
Hi, I had 3 runner duck eggs to hatch in an incubator, the first 1 hatched on the due day Friday, the other 2 I helped out on Sunday morning, I know your not supposed to, but it seemed they had been there too long as they internally pipped the same time as the other 1, and I didn't want them to die in the egg (this is the first time I have hatched eggs, so this is all new to me) The one late duckling is eating and drinking fine with the others but he walks like a penguin, he shuffles around on his elbows and seems reluctant to stand on his feet, he can use his legs as I have seen him scratching his face, (is this something I have done? should I have left them alone to hatch themselves?) is there something I can do to help him or will he get stronger by himself? PLEASE HELP:/

Congratulations on the new babies- but sorry to hear you have some trouble with one of them.

Can you check to see if the legs will move into a straight position from the hock joints??

Hi, im trying to upload some pic but not sure how to do it??? I can straighten his legs, he doesnt seem in any pain, just seems like he is unsure how his legs work! if that makes sense?

80379_misty_and_duck_021.jpg

80379_misty_and_duck_020.jpg

he also doesnt seem to know how to splay out his toes, but he can do it as i have seem him.
please excuse my use of words, not sure of the right terms to use.

I have read somewhere that a little bit of swimming may help in warm water, do you think this will help?

Last edited:
What a little cutie!!!!Thats good that they can straighten- I was worried it may be a slipped tendon or hock dislocation. I have also seen some ducklings with hip issues - but he doesnt look like any of them. Usually by the time they are all fluffed up like that they are also getting around ok- maybe a bit wobbly. He may just need some more time to gain some strength in his legs. Have you compared how they look to the other ducklings legs?? I am still just thinking about ruling out a slipped tendon- you can see it going down the back of the hock joint. If the legs look the same as the other ducklings- it may just be a matter of waiting another day to see how he goes.

Swimming may help- but with him being just so young- you can only put him in water for a few minutes at a time. Warm water as you said - and make sure you dry him off well after before putting him back into a warm brooder so he doesnt chill.

His legs look the same as the others, I think I will wait another day and see what he is like tomorrow, then maybe give him a little swim. Thanks for the advice, I will update tomorrow with his progress.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom