Runner Ducks going broody??

TLWR's runner duck Blue went broody!
big_smile.png

They aren't broody 24/7, but yes they do brood. I haven't heard of them being NOT broody. Blue was just the most resent I had heard about, but I'm sure they are pretty good at it. They aren't as bad as Pekins, who don't brood at all. From what I've heard Pekins are one of the worst, and Muscovies are the best. I think runners are in between.

As a breed on the whole - NO- they are not recognized as a particularly broody breed - but many people do have a duck or two in a flock that will go broody. Amongst my flock I have had 4 females go broody at different times- and two others that I highly doubt will ever sit longer than its takes to actually lay the egg.

Okay good to know... I have two fawn and white runner hens just gotta find a drake... Should they be laying soon?? And my friend has a pekin and she's always broody

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean ALL pekin's, most though. Your friend must have a good mother Pekin, too? That's another rarity.
wink.png
How old are your runners? Ducks usually lay at about 20-22 weeks old. Aside from that, most hens have started laying already.

I bought me hens as adults so i have no clue on how old they are.. Would they be hiding them?? And since i do not have a drake will they still lay like a chicken??

I have at least 4 of my six who will get broody... some will actually sit on eggs for a long time. I think Vic holds the record of three weeks. then I have Norie and Vinny who just seem confused tat something fell out of their butt and then continue on with their day... lol

Back
Top Bottom