Runner Ducks going broody??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultryfan73, Mar 19, 2011.

1. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I hear that runners are the "leghorn" duck. I know that leghorns never go broody so im taking it that either do runners??

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    TLWR's runner duck Blue went broody! [​IMG]

3. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    So as a breed they arent known to go broody??

4. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    They aren't broody 24/7, but yes they do brood. I haven't heard of them being NOT broody. Blue was just the most resent I had heard about, but I'm sure they are pretty good at it. They aren't as bad as Pekins, who don't brood at all. From what I've heard Pekins are one of the worst, and Muscovies are the best. I think runners are in between.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    As a breed on the whole - NO- they are not recognized as a particularly broody breed - but many people do have a duck or two in a flock that will go broody. Amongst my flock I have had 4 females go broody at different times- and two others that I highly doubt will ever sit longer than its takes to actually lay the egg.

6. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Glad someone who is actually experienced with this stuff posted! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Okay good to know... I have two fawn and white runner hens just gotta find a drake... Should they be laying soon?? And my friend has a pekin and she's always broody

8. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:Sorry, I didn't mean ALL pekin's, most though. Your friend must have a good mother Pekin, too? That's another rarity. [​IMG] How old are your runners? Ducks usually lay at about 20-22 weeks old. Aside from that, most hens have started laying already.

9. poultryfan73

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I bought me hens as adults so i have no clue on how old they are.. Would they be hiding them?? And since i do not have a drake will they still lay like a chicken??

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have at least 4 of my six who will get broody... some will actually sit on eggs for a long time. I think Vic holds the record of three weeks. then I have Norie and Vinny who just seem confused tat something fell out of their butt and then continue on with their day... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by