My Black Runners Blue Runner and Silver Runner all lay a blue egg[when they are laying] they haven't started yet this year and almost 6 yrs. My fawn and while lays a white egg. She is the only one laying. Going on 3.
Oh my gosh your ducks are beautiful in your profile picture. Where did you get the silver runner?

What’s your best way of knowing you have a new hen laying if she does it outside of their coop? We have some hens that are just getting to laying age and I don’t want them to start laying and us not know about it. One of our girls laid twice outside when she first started. Since we have been fortunate enough for them to all lay early in morning in their house.

They will be locked up for a whole day this weekend as we will be out of town and I suppose a good way to know is if we have more than the normal amount we collect everyday. Didn’t know if you had any other ways of knowing
I just go off of how many I collect each day. And I know the ages of my younger ducks so I know they aren’t laying age yet. I’ve kept mine in longer in the morning to try to avoid the Easter egg hunt for eggs all over the yard lol

Earlier this year I placed a golf ball in the nesting box for my runner duck, Wanda. She faithfully laid an egg in the box next to the golf ball for about 50 days in a row.

Never missing a day. I figured she knew the routine. So, I took the golf ball away, and within 48 hours she had dug a hole, surrounded it with straw, and laid her egg in the mud.

She has had her golf ball back for several weeks now and the egg I find every morning is...right next to the golf ball where it belongs!

Earlier this year I placed a golf ball in the nesting box for my runner duck, Wanda. She faithfully laid an egg in the box next to the golf ball for about 50 days in a row.

Never missing a day. I figured she knew the routine. So, I took the golf ball away, and within 48 hours she had dug a hole, surrounded it with straw, and laid her egg in the mud.

She has had her golf ball back for several weeks now and the egg I find every morning is...right next to the golf ball where it belongs!
All of our ducks lay in their nesting boxes. We have more than we need as it seems they is only ever eggs in 2-3 of them. We do have a duck that is sporadically laying an egg without a shell in the yard but it seems like it’ll be after they get spooked by something so that’s what I’ve chalked that up to. We were getting 10 eggs a day, down to 8 the past few days. We have 14 hens. They all should be laying but it’s first year for all but one so we expected some late bloomers. Not sure if the 2 eggs we are missing if they are laying while free ranging or what. Usually only find an egg out and about when it’s from a hen that hasn’t laid before then she gets on the morning cycle with the rest

Back
Top Bottom