Runner is laying down a lot

Boof_Macarooni

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
One of my runners hurt her leg a little while back and I’ve had to put up our male since he kept making it worse. It has healed since then but now she lays around a lot more than normal but she walks just fine and keeps up with the other girls. She also seems to be molting so I don’t know if there is something wrong with her or maybe it has something to do with her molting? She has always been on the skinnier compared to her sister but I’m not too worried about that since she has always been like that.
Anyone have any ideas as to why should be doing this? I would expect it from a baby duck, not a 3 year old runner

By watching my Runners and my other breeds molting doesn't make them feel very good. Mine lay around a lot when going through their molt. They don't like to be handled either since those new pin feathers must be uncomfortable when growing in .

if she is eating good and not having other symptoms such as respiratory I'd say what your seeing is normal. You might offer some extra protein while she is growing in her new feathers.

Mine get Dried mealworms, black soldier fly larvae and some dry dog food [small bites]
The extra protein helps.

Back
Top Bottom