Runner/kahki campbells duckling to adult colors?

I found mine on Craigslist. This is where I have gotten several of my birds. My first encounter was scary and I thought I was going to end up on Dateline but the other two have been just fine. I have also had people contact me when I was selling them from Craigslist and they were all very nice and it worked out well. I was wanting Fawn and White and they were on there for almost 3 weeks getting ready to hatch before I finally reached out to them. I really did not need more ducks but have always wanted these that remind me of not only bowling pins but also pinguins. lol
They were hatching them in an incubator and thought they would have 12-15. You would have to buy at least 2 for $8.00 a piece and only 5 ended up hatching out. I was the only one to answer his ad so far he said and they were born this past week.

I found mine on Craigslist. This is where I have gotten several of my birds. My first encounter was scary and I thought I was going to end up on Dateline but the other two have been just fine. I have also had people contact me when I was selling them from Craigslist and they were all very nice and it worked out well. I was wanting Fawn and White and they were on there for almost 3 weeks getting ready to hatch before I finally reached out to them. I really did not need more ducks but have always wanted these that remind me of not only bowling pins but also pinguins. lol
I've gotten all of my birds from craigslist besdies my 4 original chickens 😂 all good encouters thankfully. Our first and probably last experience was us deciding to check out a local animal auction last Saturday and came home with 3 what could not have been more then a day old silkie chicks.. unfortunately the final one just passed today from what i could tell all failure to thrive. I had hatched my own the day before and the ones we brought home just were not keep up with them in growth or showing much progression at all. Very heartbreaking. We manily keep chickens but have been wanting ducks, I had run across someone on social media who keeps runners and chickens and became immediately interested in runners. They are just so stinking cute so I began looking for them, they have been hard to come by. I finially saw a post on criagslist for a black and blue pair and had to get them! Wanting a few more I hatched some of their eggies and now have the babies! I don't need more but I'd love more genes especially Fawn and white!

I've gotten all of my birds from craigslist besdies my 4 original chickens 😂 all good encouters thankfully. Our first and probably last experience was us deciding to check out a local animal auction last Saturday and came home with 3 what could not have been more then a day old silkie chicks.. unfortunately the final one just passed today from what i could tell all failure to thrive. I had hatched my own the day before and the ones we brought home just were not keep up with them in growth or showing much progression at all. Very heartbreaking. We manily keep chickens but have been wanting ducks, I had run across someone on social media who keeps runners and chickens and became immediately interested in runners. They are just so stinking cute so I began looking for them, they have been hard to come by. I finially saw a post on criagslist for a black and blue pair and had to get them! Wanting a few more I hatched some of their eggies and now have the babies! I don't need more but I'd love more genes especially Fawn and white!
Good for you, your Runners sound delightful!! Did they hatch out their babies or did you use an incubator? Mine were born in an incubator that the guy had. Are yours skittish? Some people say they are and others say they are not. Mine run when I try to pick them up out of the brooder but almost all babies will. Mine had a long ride home without any 90 degree heat and I was concerned that they might not make it but they are doing fine. I have two lights 40 watt on them now in a big plastic covered tub and they are eating and drinking just fine. They are really cute. They remind me of the Penguins at the zoo, lol.

Good for you, your Runners sound delightful!! Did they hatch out their babies or did you use an incubator? Mine were born in an incubator that the guy had. Are yours skittish? Some people say they are and others say they are not. Mine run when I try to pick them up out of the brooder but almost all babies will. Mine had a long ride home without any 90 degree heat and I was concerned that they might not make it but they are doing fine. I have two lights 40 watt on them now in a big plastic covered tub and they are eating and drinking just fine. They are really cute. They remind me of the Penguins at the zoo, lol.
The man I got mine from told me his flew very well so I had to pinion mine as I live in a housing development and my neighbors have dogs that would eat them if they flew out of my yard. They are doing really well though and eating and drinking fine.

I'm using an incubator, I read runners hardly go broody and if they do they arnt the best mama's after hatch 😂. The adults I got a few moths ago are a little skittish but they are warming up to me, I definitely have seen improvement. I also read when I was learning about them that you have to gain their trust, they will trust you over time. The younger babies are easily frightened and try to dodge me when I stick my hand in but the babies I've had now for a month im down to the 2 Im keeping and they and they peep for me when they hear me but can't see me! I take them out of their brooder and place them on the ground they follow me ouside to get some fresh air and i will sit with them in the sun on nice days. They are super friendly one especially loves a good chin scratch I'm looking forward to them being older hoping they will still like me 😂

I'm using an incubator, I read runners hardly go broody and if they do they arnt the best mama's after hatch 😂. The adults I got a few moths ago are a little skittish but they are warming up to me, I definitely have seen improvement. I also read when I was learning about them that you have to gain their trust, they will trust you over time. The younger babies are easily frightened and try to dodge me when I stick my hand in but the babies I've had now for a month im down to the 2 Im keeping and they and they peep for me when they hear me but can't see me! I take them out of their brooder and place them on the ground they follow me ouside to get some fresh air and i will sit with them in the sun on nice days. They are super friendly one especially loves a good chin scratch I'm looking forward to them being older hoping they will still like me 😂
Thanks for the information. I wonder how old they have to be before I will know what gender they are? I will not vent sex them as I do not want to risk hurting them. Will their bill color change colors for male and female I wonder or feet color? Thanks for any info you can give me.

I waited until they were 2 weeks + so they were more developed, less fradglie and supposed to be more easy to identify and I vent sexed mine. I'm not an expert but I educated myself very well. I did a quick swift gentle check some were obvious right away which was nice. Others I couldn't tell after a few seconds so I'd wait and try again the next day or so and if I didn't see male parts after 3rd time looking I used my best judgment and assumed they were female. The two I've kept from my 1st hatch are male, besides seeing their male parts I'm now noticing signs. Their lower voice is more monotone especially next to one I assumed was female. Hers was a lot higher pitched and she was talkative. I did read beak and feet can be hard to rely on as the beaks to males and females can be nearly the same color. My adult male and females beaks are pretty similar. My adult male has black and orange feet, I'm seeing some orange starting to develop on my little black runners little black feet. I think voice pitch and waiting to see if that little tail turns up a curl will be your best indicator

I waited until they were 2 weeks + so they were more developed, less fradglie and supposed to be more easy to identify and I vent sexed mine. I'm not an expert but I educated myself very well. I did a quick swift gentle check some were obvious right away which was nice. Others I couldn't tell after a few seconds so I'd wait and try again the next day or so and if I didn't see male parts after 3rd time looking I used my best judgment and assumed they were female. The two I've kept from my 1st hatch are male, besides seeing their male parts I'm now noticing signs. Their lower voice is more monotone especially next to one I assumed was female. Hers was a lot higher pitched and she was talkative. I did read beak and feet can be hard to rely on as the beaks to males and females can be nearly the same color. My adult male and females beaks are pretty similar. My adult male has black and orange feet, I'm seeing some orange starting to develop on my little black runners little black feet. I think voice pitch and waiting to see if that little tail turns up a curl will be your best indicator
Thanks, that is what I figured. I am afraid I will harm them if I try to vent sex them and there is no real big hurry to see what they are. I am just like the rest of the world, wanting at least one Hen of the two. They are just so quiet and good compared to my Mallard babies I have had that I have had but they were either mailed to me or gotten from a hatchery so maybe where these two were born in an incubator at a person's house it made a difference. Or with my luck maybe they are just quiet boys.

Thanks, that is what I figured. I am afraid I will harm them if I try to vent sex them and there is no real big hurry to see what they are. I am just like the rest of the world, wanting at least one Hen of the two. They are just so quiet and good compared to my Mallard babies I have had that I have had but they were either mailed to me or gotten from a hatchery so maybe where these two were born in an incubator at a person's house it made a difference. Or with my luck maybe they are just quiet boys.
After I got my adults I fell in love and wanted a few more so I decided to hatch some and find homes for the rest. My craigslist posting was a real hit so I ended up incubating a few more hatches people wanted females or at least a couple of each. It's recommended to wait til they are 2 weeks or so before vent sexing so that's what I did. They are so small it can be hard to get past but compared to chickens they seem so hardy haha. I wasn't in a hurry for my own or really cared what sex i just wanted more babies running around! So far I've gotten about 50/50 with my hatches so it makes me feel like I'm reading right! My first 2 hatches were runner eggs and runner/khaki campell eggs, I got all blues and blacks out of them so far. Today my 3rd hatch just finished and out popped a little golden one! I'm so in love I might have to keep this one too haha I'm wondering what color it might turn, the parents are blue and black. Fingers crossed you have a hen or 2!

Attachments

• 20230502_212110.jpg
    20230502_212110.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 0
After I got my adults I fell in love and wanted a few more so I decided to hatch some and find homes for the rest. My craigslist posting was a real hit so I ended up incubating a few more hatches people wanted females or at least a couple of each. It's recommended to wait til they are 2 weeks or so before vent sexing so that's what I did. They are so small it can be hard to get past but compared to chickens they seem so hardy haha. I wasn't in a hurry for my own or really cared what sex i just wanted more babies running around! So far I've gotten about 50/50 with my hatches so it makes me feel like I'm reading right! My first 2 hatches were runner eggs and runner/khaki campell eggs, I got all blues and blacks out of them so far. Today my 3rd hatch just finished and out popped a little golden one! I'm so in love I might have to keep this one too haha I'm wondering what color it might turn, the parents are blue and black. Fingers crossed you have a hen or 2!
Thank you. I am almost 99% sure I have a boy and a girl. One is growing a lot faster than the other and the legs have gotten longer all in one week which both are signs of boys. In the past my other three groups of two ended up being a boy and girl and the boy always was bigger and had bigger legs. At least I will have a girl and I hope I can rehome the boy if he becomes a problem to my Hens.

Back
Top Bottom