Runner vs. Pekin! Which should I get?

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
I am going to be getting ducklings this summer and I am torn between these two breeds. Anyone who has experience with either of these two breeds please tell me which one you would recommend. I can only pick one though. Also please tell me why you would choose one over the other.
leavenworth-wa-fawn-and-white-indian-runner-duck_u-l-q1gbgjf0.jpg
Pekin_2614.jpg

There's the two contestants. If you are not familiar with duck breeds the Runner is the first one and the Pekin is the second one. I am going to be ordering them in a week or two from when I'm posting this, so there's not much time!

PLEASE VOTE!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, if you have any recommendations for duck breeds besides the two of these, I am always open to new ideas!

What I am looking for in a duck:
-sweet and gentle
-doesn't fly (I don't think either do)
-I will not be using them for meat so that doesn't matter
-laying eggs would be great but if they don't lay too much that's fine

Also, they will be free range most of the day but when I'm gone or for the night they will be inside my 4 seasons room. It is practically outside, so it's not THAT gross.

Last edited:
I have had both breeds, but it's difficult to recommend one without knowing your goals and preferencess; e.g., are you looking for eggs, meat, or is neither important? How important is docility? How are you planning on keeping them (cooped, free range, etc.)? These are two very different breeds, both have their strengths.

I have only kept runners out of those two breeds, so I cannot talk from experience of pekins, but I would recommend runners. They lay very reliably. Don't fly and are less prone to bumblefoot because they aren't very heavy. They are also very entertaining to watch. You can tame them as much as you can tame any duck. I have always found them to be good flock mates and not aggressive.

Two words of caution for any new duck keeper:

1. Do not underestimate how much mess and dirt and mud they create. They will turn any waterer filled with fresh clean water into silt within minutes. They will turn any patch of ground to a mudbath, and any grassy area to a wasteland. Ducks imo should not be kept inside unless you want a stinky house and to deprive them. They need the mud and wet to live a proper ducky life. They don't need the warmth and thrive in the outdoors so you don't need to bring them in at night (as adults), just give them an outdoor safe sheltered place to sleep.

2. Do not underestimate their breeding lust if you have any drakes. They will mate every few minutes with anything to hand: other ducks, other drakes, chickens, your foot... Rape and near drowning can be a frequent occurrence and it can be hard to watch. You can mitigate this by having a high duck to drake ratio and not mixing species.

I ended up giving up duck keeping after a few years because my hens were being bothered too much by it. TMI but a drake has a corkscrew penis which he inserts into the vent, which is very different from roosters who just mount and squirt into the vent with no penetration. Drakes also never give up, never tire and never seem to not be horny. They are the equivalent of spoilt drunk frat boys!

If I haven't ruined the idea for you - Happy duck keeping!

Back
Top Bottom