Runny Albumin (white part) Help!

Amazon chicken

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
And I mean runny - no thickness at all. Yellow part is fine. She is a 15 month old Maran and is otherwise healthy energetic and red comb. Her eggs 3 months ago were large, dark brown and 2.3 ounces. Her eggs now are enormous - 3.6 today and sometimes the shell is a bit malformed but strong. My hens free range, lots of grass and we give them some goodies - tomatoes, brown rice, bread and occasional fruit. other hens fine and she was recently wormed. This has been going on for 10 weeks - HELP! Could it be an illness or nutritional deficiency of some kind? Since albumin is protein I was thinking maybe protein.

Last edited:
Do they taste different?

Sounds to me like a feed deficiency of some sort.

I'd feed her a little canned salmon or tuna and see what happens.

Thank you for your reply but her eggs were fine last fall and this past spring - perfect in all ways. Oddly, they went from 2.4 ounces to 3.6 and firm upright whites to runny.

I will read the post you sent..

warmly,

Lani

That is an interesting thought and it makes sense - do you think more protein would help and if so what kind - I gave her a bit of high quality wet cat food but probably not enough to make a difference.

Lani

Well, she's made of protein, and even if you upped it to 20% like "layer supplents" have, it might not help if she is simply not producing the protein. If a gene was down regulated for some reason, more protein won't help. But, you can try. Catfood can have lots of sodium, so I now reccomend feeding a "layer supplement" if you can. That said... my chickens scare off the ferals to steal their food if the cats dish is put out and they are not in bed.

Back
Top Bottom