Runny chicken poop

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
My chicken Emily (bantam cochin) has been having some really runny poop recently.
She did have worms, and got treated for it. I might have seen some white lines but nothing moving.

It is decently hot here, and none of my other chickens have runny poop like hers. Im talking water. It bubbles, squirts out, and is just like a puddle, to some there is some poop shape, but all still runny.

Also, shes a year old.

What could this be? Im not seeing other noticeable symptoms. She seems her usual self. Im just worried because its been going on for some days now.

I could be from drinking lots of water, they do that when it's hot to try to stay cool. I'm in Florida where it's very hot and very humid, I tend to see a lot of runny droppings in summer. How long ago did you worm? What worm did you treat for? What med and what dose?

I could be from drinking lots of water, they do that when it's hot to try to stay cool. I'm in Florida where it's very hot and very humid, I tend to see a lot of runny droppings in summer. How long ago did you worm? What worm did you treat for? What med and what dose?
That was my first thought, however the others seem normal (or maybe a little thinner, but not like hers)

I wormed about 21 days ago, and recently was on the end of the 17 day countdown.

We thought it was tapeworm.

It was safe guard and we did a small drop.

Safeguard isn't effective for tapeworm. Usually a medication containing praziquantel is used for tapeworm. You can get that in Equimax horse paste or Zimectrin Gold Horse paste. Dosing for those is in post #6 here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
Safeguard dosing is .23 ml per pound of bird weight. You likely way under dosed if you just gave a small drop. To treat roundworm only you would do 2 doses 10 days apart. For others (like gapeworm or capillary worm) you dose 5 days in a row.

Safeguard isn't effective for tapeworm. Usually a medication containing praziquantel is used for tapeworm. You can get that in Equimax horse paste or Zimectrin Gold Horse paste. Dosing for those is in post #6 here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
Safeguard dosing is .23 ml per pound of bird weight. You likely way under dosed if you just gave a small drop. To treat roundworm only you would do 2 doses 10 days apart. For others (like gapeworm or capillary worm) you dose 5 days in a row.
Thank you. I didn’t get a very close look, so im not confident it was tapeworm.

I actually think it was gapeworm, because what i saw, was a white worm, and it was small, on a section of the poop

What does safeguard treat?

Safeguard will treat everything except tapeworm. When you don't know for sure what worm you are dealing with then dose the Safeguard at the .23 ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row. That will get rid of everything except tapeworm.

Back
Top Bottom