runny poo in pet quail

Sister Mary Michael

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Bridger MT
We tried a hatch and only one Vally chick survived. She is now 4 weeks old and was in great health but now has yellowish liquid poo. She still eats and drinks, loves to go outside and eat the grass and bugs. Put her under a heat lamp and apple cider vinegar in the water, but still liquid stools. Help!

Keep her in a cage and don't give her anything but gamebird food for a few days and put vitasol in clean water for her. You can get vitasol at anywhere that sells parakeet or cockatiel supplies if your feed store doesnt sell it. I haven't raised valley quail but in the wild I know they eat the adult's feces to obtain the probiotics they need for digestion, so maybe someone who does raise them can help more there.

Are you offering up some sort of grit for the gizzard? This will help with the break down of food.

I would also try some probiotics in the water. This will help with the good bacteria in the GI tract that is needed for good digestion.

Adorable photo. Ditto to what the other posters have stated. I just wanted to add that when my quail eat more protein than normal (either more bugs or back when I was adding cat food to their feed), they also had runny/frothy stools. Once I cut back a bit on the bugs and eliminated the cat food, their stools returned to normal. Definitely second the added probiotics as well, especially now after there has been some gastro irritation.

Back
Top Bottom