Runny poop, messy backend, not laying

chickenMamee

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
I've got a mixed breed 5ish year old hen that has been treated with Ivermectin routine. I've not got an issue with external parasites. she's very lethargic and walks with tail down, nasty poop and lies down a lot. She's good for several days and then back to the same issues. Has not laid an egg in months. She pants when she's in this funk but will eat and drink sparingly. I've given her Tylan injection s in past but they make her very very weak. I have no idea what to do anymore She's been going through this cycle for several months. She doesn't have a crop issue and I'm thinking it's more of an internal laying issue of some other cause. Any ideas appreciated

It sounds like she's having reproductive issues.
Could be internal laying, cancer, peritonitis, etc.
Do you notice any fluid in her abdomen? If so, then sometimes that can be drained to give her relief for a short period of time.
Unfortunately, I have seen the cycle of doing ok, to not so good and back again. How much time a hen has just really depends on exactly what's happening (you won't know unless she dies and a necropy is performed).
Supportive care measures can included antibiotics, draining fluid if that's a symptom, making sure the crop is emptying, keeping poopy bottoms cleaned and keeping parasites under control.

IF you were to give antibiotics...the Tylan is o.k. but it's more geared to treat respiratory illnesses. IF you want to give Tylan = that's what you have on hand, then give it orally 3 times a day instead of by injection. It should be well tolerated orally.
Amoxicillin (Fish Mox) can be given to help with reproductive infections as well.

I'm very sorry that you are dealing with this. It really stinks to have a hen that is unwell

It sounds like she's having reproductive issues.
Could be internal laying, cancer, peritonitis, etc.
Do you notice any fluid in her abdomen? If so, then sometimes that can be drained to give her relief for a short period of time.
Unfortunately, I have seen the cycle of doing ok, to not so good and back again. How much time a hen has just really depends on exactly what's happening (you won't know unless she dies and a necropy is performed).
Supportive care measures can included antibiotics, draining fluid if that's a symptom, making sure the crop is emptying, keeping poopy bottoms cleaned and keeping parasites under control.

IF you were to give antibiotics...the Tylan is o.k. but it's more geared to treat respiratory illnesses. IF you want to give Tylan = that's what you have on hand, then give it orally 3 times a day instead of by injection. It should be well tolerated orally.
Amoxicillin (Fish Mox) can be given to help with reproductive infections as well.

I'm very sorry that you are dealing with this. It really stinks to have a hen that is unwell
I’m going to try the fish mox as I do have that on hand. Her poop is straight liquid so soak her and clean her up and within two days she’s a mess again. I’m really torn about whether to cull her. I hate to put her down but I know she’s definitely in pain and very weak when she’s in this vicious cycle. She’s so sweet! I’m thinking of letting the vet out her to sleep as I just can’t do it to her.
Thanks for your response. I guess I am grasping at straws and I need to stop. I have to remember it’s about her well being. 😭

I’m going to try the fish mox as I do have that on hand. Her poop is straight liquid so soak her and clean her up and within two days she’s a mess again. I’m really torn about whether to cull her. I hate to put her down but I know she’s definitely in pain and very weak when she’s in this vicious cycle. She’s so sweet! I’m thinking of letting the vet out her to sleep as I just can’t do it to her.
Thanks for your response. I guess I am grasping at straws and I need to stop. I have to remember it’s about her well being. 😭
I'm sorry that she's not doing well.
Sometimes even with the best of care and medications, they just have more going on and are not able to overcome.
If she's in a lot of misery/pain, then it's time to let her go. I know it's a hard decision to make.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom