runny watery poo.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommabs, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mommabs

mommabs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    I've been treating my chickes for possible mites. Didnt actually see any but their combs look spotty so the lady at tractor supply has me treating them w red earth stuff and antibotics everyother day. They r all laying but one today. Its very hot here. And she has runny poop almost just water. What could cause this?? A mix of everything?? Or is she sick??

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - hopefully it is nothing more than an excessive intake of water.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

To be honest I really dislike the idea of antibiotic's every other day. I don't see that accomplishing anything but wiping out the good bacteria her gut needs and perhaps increasing antibiotic resistance if by chance she does have a bacterial infection going on. Which I doubt based on her symptoms. When antibiotic's are used they should be used at their full strength for whatever the treatment timeline is for the specific drug used.

As Sourland mentioned heat can cause in increased intake of water, it could be as simple as that. Something worth trying would be to add some probiotic's to their water and see if that helps.

7. mommabs

Aug 29, 2013
    Ill stop the antibiotics then. The reason for them was because of the possible mites. I guess. Where do n u get probiotics?

8. mommabs

Aug 29, 2013
    And I didn't get an egg from her today. Shes always layed everyday. She may be getting broody too.

9. mommabs

Aug 29, 2013
    Well. Its 1015 and I just went to chexk on them and she had layed her egg...on the floor. Weird. We cleaned out their coop and put some new roost in. R they too high?? See how the scrunch in the door way. [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I can't imagine giving antibiotics only every other day. Nor do I think using red earth(?) will get rid of their mites or an antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by