runs in feathers

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I know I read about this, and now can not find it. I have tried google and the search a BYC but since I am using the word "run" I am finding a whole lot of nothing. I seem to remember it was due to a lack of a certain vitamin or malnutrition but cant remember. What is the cause of runs in feathers? (like what happens with pantyhose) Is there a name for it????

Do you mean the raggedy appearance caused by fowl mites?

or the molting appearance, feathers everywhere, which benefits from added protein and fat?
cool.png

runs in the feathers like in pantyhose, starting where the shaft is and going outwards to edge of feather. I searched for mites and dusted I have seen none.

Run and chicken together typically mean the pen or yard in which the birds are housed. Not sure of the term you are looking for, but feather mites can cause lines across the feathers as they eat the feather.

Quote:
so I should call it lines in the feathers? is mites the only cause is there no nutritional causes? I am very upset as My FBCM roo who I wrote about and who struggled for months not being able to walk has some in his tail feathers I looked him over for mites and dust them with and organic dust and have not seen any mites on him. I think I will bathe him in a few days and see. I was figuring it was from when he was injured and thin and that is was maybe from a lack of certain vitamins or something. He really seemed on deaths door for a while but again I never saw bugs on him or any of the other signs of bugs. Technically I do not need to treat him organically since I wont ever eat him and he makes no eggs so if there is something that is sure to work and not too caustic then I would try it I guess.

Lots of things can cause feathering issues. Poor health or certain medicines while feathers are actively growing can cause damage from which a feather will never recover (however a replacement feather may grow just fine). Feather mites live inside the feathers. I have little or no confidence in an "organic dust" of any sort. I assume that you mean DE? It has its place, but is not an effective treatment for mites or lice. Personally, I would bathe with a flea/tick dog shampoo, or even a lice shampoo made for humans, and then treat with pour-on ivermectin.

I don't know what FBMC is.

the dust is a mix of DE and pyrethrins and does work, but I can try the pour on ivermectin I guess since it would only be on him. I met to say FBCM just got the letters wrong. The damage is on his oldest tail feathers so I am thinking its damage from before I just dont want to overlook anything and have him suddenly get sick or something, even though he is the healthiest he has ever been. see this thread for pics and story. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=284430

I said its just in his tail feathers but I had not noticed it before but yesterday I gav him a good look over and took pics and then I noticed it and it has been bugging me ever since.

Thanks
smile.png

I agree, I think you need to dust the bird and probably your others with a product like Dri-Kill or other suitable poultry dust.
They can go downhill very fast, especially when it's cold. And look overhead for cracks of places in the loft of your building where the pests may be hiding in the day- things like fowl mites drop down on the birds and feed at night. The coop will need cleaning and dusting too.

ok I just cleanned the whole coop and dusted them all. I did see some mites on them after all once I looked really carefully. I will use the pour on ivermectin on the roo and just keep dusting and bathing the girls if they get bad. I keep a pretty clean place and there did not seem to be infested just has some and everyone seems very healthy. Since this is my organic flock its the best I can do. If I dont seem to get rid of them I will try other things.

Back
Top Bottom