Runt chick

Jul 22, 2021
One of my chicks is smaller than the rest, they are 4 weeks old now and it's only been this past week I've noticed this one is smaller as the rest went through growth spurts, I have seen some growth but slower than the others. One thing I have noticed is this chicks crop is never full like the others, I've been sitting watching them the last few days and I noticed this one won't hardly eat from the feeder and pecks at the floor mostly eating pine shavings so I tried popping the top off the feeder and she ate a little but again is more interested in pecking the floor so I've been putting a handful of feed on the floor in one corner where she always seems to peck at in the hopes she'll get more food in her. For comparison the others crops feel like the size of a strawberry and this one always seems to be empty and I can't find it but it did feel like the size of a blueberry yesterday since opening the feeder. I've tried taking her out to eat separately but she just squawks wanting to go back with the others. They eat chick starter and I've only offered dried mealworms twice so no chance of a blockage. Tomorrow will be the last day of corid treatment but idk if that could be something that would stunt growth a little? I've tried looking up failure to thrive but everything I find is in relation to chick 1 week old or younger and this one was growing perfectly fine up until a week ago. I've seen a little picking going on between the boys but they seem to just jump on each other and don't bother with the girls so I don't think there's any issue there as far as them preventing this one from eating or anything. I'm not sure what else to look for or try, she's full of energy, drinks normally, jumps and flaps around like the others and even poop regularly and the poop looks normal just smaller which I assume is cause she eats less. I'm really hoping she's just a late bloomer and will catch up soon, everything has been going fine otherwise. Is there anything else I should try other than wait and see?

she's full of energy, drinks normally, jumps and flaps around like the others and even poop regularly and the poop looks normal just smaller which I assume is cause she eats less.
Sounds like she's doing ok.
She may just be a little behind. Not all birds are going to grow at the same rate.

Full of energy, eat/drinks = doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom