Runt Duck, What to do?

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I have Muscoveys and out of every hatch as week or 2 olds I grab the biggest and smallest in hopes to grow out a pair. then sell the ducklings. I know this is/was illegal, but whos to say the ppl who buy them aren't going to use them for food. Plus its only for a few bucks to help with fees as this is a hobby more than anything. I don't want to start a debate or be judged. I just have concerns about this one particular duck. Its hatchly buddy who I assumed would be a drake, is, almost fully grown and the poor little one, who I assumed is a hen, is only as big as a 6 or 8 week old. Not even fully feathered out.... Hatched in early April. She eats swims and runs around like she is as big as her buddy..... Seems very healthy, just a runt. The drake she was raised with is her only friend too. Very sad. I feel sorry for her/it..... Just wanted some feed back I guess, just blabbing.....

If it was illegal to sell Muscovies, how would people get them in the first place?
hmm.png

If the duck is happy and healthy, what's the problem? I had a runt duckling that was probably just over half the size of the drake she lived with, and 2/3 the size of the other female. They all got along just fine.
smile.png

I have a runt/dwarf call duck. Micro has been hanging in there for 1 1/2 years now. He had a very rough start, still has breathing issues. He is 1/2 the size of a female call, very small. I have enjoyed nurturing him along and he is quite the trooper.
22826_100_0485.jpg

Same age hatch mates. Can you guess which one is Micro?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom