Runt of the goat litter, was rescued from dying! But I am not really sure of what I am doing...

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone. Thank you ahead of time for your help and suggestions and solutions.

Basically, my Glenda, ND doe, gave birth to two kids. One of them completely healthy and was doing well. I am usually present for these deliveries, but I was away on a trip this time. Gloria was not due for another week but mother nature decided otherwise.The second one, a doe, I found on the ground in the sun, dehydrated, almost unconscious, and listless two days later when I arrived. That was June 10. We immediately called the vet and tried to hydrate the kid, and lower her body temperature with a cold wet towel. Anyway, it worked. The doctor checked her and gave her several things and told me what to do.

At the beginning, she had to be fed with a syringe, since she was not suckling. A lot of Pedialyte for kids and milk from the mom. She was drinking only half an ounce. As days went by, she started to drink more of the milk, moving around slowly and getting more attentive to surroundings and sounds. By today she is drinking from a baby bottle, around two to three ounces of replacement milk mixed with the mom's and being more active to the point I had to put her in a playpen to contain her and she be safe.

Yes, I know it seems like I am doing everything right, regular feedings day and night, milk, etc. But I am having some questions to observations that maybe someone out there with more experience might be able to help me. I've named her Sweetpea. She is really adorable and I am committed to saving her.

Questions:
1. Since I started giving her the replacement milk mixed with the mother’s milk, she is peeing but I haven't seen any of that creamy yellow poop for 24 hours. (More or less.) Can the replacer milk be constipating her? And if so, what can I give her to help her? Mineral oil? Olive oil?
2. About that creamy yellow poop...for how long will she be passing it? Should it be changing color or consistency?
3. I have almost a full bag of colostrum, that was never finished. When we found her sick,
the farm hand was not sure whether she had drunk any of the mother's colostrum so we bought some and then the doctor told me that colostrum was only absorbed during the first 24 hours. So, I have it and wondering if I can still use it so it is not wasted? (It seems that she was able to get at least a little of the colostrum since there are signs of continuous improvement.)
4. Will it hurt her if I give her probiotics? I have some I bought for my birds that is a powder mixed in water. If not that one, what can I give her to improve the flora in her tummies? Yes, I know she is a ruminant. I’ll include pictures of the bottle.
5. What else should I do to help her get better? What should I look for in her development? I compare her size to the siblings and she is still so small.
6. Can I put in her playpen, some of the goats feed and sweet foods to see if she will nibble at it? She is nibbling a lot and I know the kids usually start trying the mother’s food from very early age. If not now when?
Thank you for all your help ahead of time. She is a sweetie and I really do not want to loose her.

Here are sweetpea pictures.

Attachments

• 13EDF075-8A0A-4E9B-8EC6-C7B4717D3428.jpeg
    13EDF075-8A0A-4E9B-8EC6-C7B4717D3428.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 6D9F9492-D7F9-4173-8B4F-4703D77243BB.jpeg
    6D9F9492-D7F9-4173-8B4F-4703D77243BB.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2D253D9A-B091-465D-B706-971ADA8346C8.jpeg
    2D253D9A-B091-465D-B706-971ADA8346C8.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 11
  • 2713CCB5-91E5-401B-AB54-001DE2384D63.jpeg
    2713CCB5-91E5-401B-AB54-001DE2384D63.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 313ADE19-5761-4E3F-AEFE-C77EB9759F48.jpeg
    313ADE19-5761-4E3F-AEFE-C77EB9759F48.jpeg
    938.5 KB · Views: 11
Dump the replacer and feed whole cow milk from the store. Kids do much better on milk than any replacer ever made. This includes the expensive replacers made for kids. If you want to get fancy, take a gallon of store milk and pour off about a quart. Add a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated (not sweetened condensed) milk to the jug and shake it up. Fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off. This formula was originally made for Boer kids but it works well for any kids particularly mini goat kids. Mini goats and Boers produce a milk that is richer than what the average dairy goat produces. Keep in mind some kids tolerate milk replacer and some do not. The kids that do not tolerate replacer may not grow well because they cannot digest it. Some scour, and worse, some of them just blow up and die.

I agree, no more replacer. If you have enough fresh goat milk I'd just stick with that. You could try freezing the colostrum if you don't want to toss it but I wouldn't bother giving any.

I had a premature kid and there would be times where she improved and then the next day she was slowing a bit. It was touch and go for a few weeks but she's doing well now and just had her first kids. My vet suggested giving vit B complex shots. It was 2 ccs a day. You can't overdose on it so even if she doesn't need it, it won't hurt her. It's better given subcutaneously but you can give it by mouth too.

No chicken probiotics. You could try offering some goat electrolytes mixed with water but she may not be ready to drink from a bucket yet. Some honey on the gums may also help if she's lacking energy.

You can put alfalfa in with her so she'll start nibbling. Their rumens aren't fully developed at this age so she can't digest fibrous foods. But it will stimulate bacteria growth in her gut so she can start to digest them.

Hi! Thank you for asking, I am sorry to say that Sweetpea dies at two weeks old. Dr. said it might have been congenital.
After feeding and treating her for two weeks, we mourn her afterward. It was to painful to talk about it here. But, thank everyone for their help.

Hi! Thank you for asking, I am sorry to say that Sweetpea dies at two weeks old. Dr. said it might have been congenital.
After feeding and treating her for two weeks, we mourn her afterward. It was to painful to talk about it here. But, thank everyone for their help.
I am so sorry. :hugs But you did your best and now she is at peace.

It is a sad fact of life that not every baby born, of any species, has what it takes to survive. I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom