Runt

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
My husband and I got 3 silkies and 3 bantams last Saturday one of our bantams is very small. I can't tell that she has grown much. She eats and drinks just like the other but just doesn't seem to be growing. Is this a concern?

:welcome Some chicks just exhibit 'failure to thrive' - generally because of congenital problems. Sometimes they recover and start to grow.

:welcome Some chicks just exhibit 'failure to thrive' - generally because of congenital problems. Sometimes they recover and start to grow.
Thank you. I'm worried about all of them. I told my husband once we get past the first few weeks I think I won't worry alot atleast until they get in their coop.

My husband and I got 3 silkies and 3 bantams last Saturday one of our bantams is very small. I can't tell that she has grown much. She eats and drinks just like the other but just doesn't seem to be growing. Is this a concern?
Curious how your "runt" made out. I had a 2 year old hen that had never laid but suddenly did to start to lay in Sept/ Oct last year. On a lark, I decided to collect her eggs and incubate shooting for a Halloween hatch. (Dumb idea in Northern Ontario)12 eggs got me 9 chicks as planned Oct 30.
A couple days later I was going to toss the remaining 3 when I heard an internal pip on one. That one ended up hatching 5 days late with my help. It was unable to zip itself out and seemed to have given up. I have kept a close eye on that chick. It was clearly smaller that the rest. I attributed it to the late start but it kept falling farther and farther behind.
By January the hatch was ready for the coop but it was obvious mini wasn't.
It is still living the good life inside but is extremely small. Otherwise behaves like a normal 3 month old chick. I am hesitant to move her to the coop because of her size so if nothing changes, I will introduce her to the flock in the spring.
Never had nor seen this before so - Just wondering....
Ronnie

Curious how your "runt" made out. I had a 2 year old hen that had never laid but suddenly did to start to lay in Sept/ Oct last year. On a lark, I decided to collect her eggs and incubate shooting for a Halloween hatch. (Dumb idea in Northern Ontario)12 eggs got me 9 chicks as planned Oct 30.
A couple days later I was going to toss the remaining 3 when I heard an internal pip on one. That one ended up hatching 5 days late with my help. It was unable to zip itself out and seemed to have given up. I have kept a close eye on that chick. It was clearly smaller that the rest. I attributed it to the late start but it kept falling farther and farther behind.
By January the hatch was ready for the coop but it was obvious mini wasn't.
It is still living the good life inside but is extremely small. Otherwise behaves like a normal 3 month old chick. I am hesitant to move her to the coop because of her size so if nothing changes, I will introduce her to the flock in the spring.
Never had nor seen this before so - Just wondering....
Ronnie
She is the smallest of the bunch. But she was the first to start laying and has layed six eggs in alittle over 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom