Runty Quail losing weight- no easy NutriDrop acess

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
My 2 day old baby jumbo quail, Cinnamon (Cinni) is on the runty side. She seems smaller than her hatchmate and weighs less even though she is a day older. Yesterday evening I weighed her and she was only 8g! Not sure how much that is in imperial, but I’m sure someone can figure that out.
Today when I weighed her she had lost 1g of weight, while her hatchmate more than doubled in weight.
I wasn’t concerned before about her weight, but now I am. It’s definitely not normal for them to lose weight when they are growing.

I would usually just give her some NutriDrop, but the only pet store I know stocks it in NSW stopped supplying it last month. Cinni makes a weird whining-wailing sound instead of screaming. It’s kind of wired, I’ll have to get videos tomorrow.
A cause of her possibly being weaker is that she spend over 10 hours wet in the incubator as I still had the humidity at 70% for her hatchmate. Her feathers do seem flatter, which could possibly make her look smaller. Even if it is possible for her to be a regular size coturnix rather than a jumbo, she would still be on the runtier side. She acts completely normal other than the wired sounds she makes, but she also seems to eat less. Maybe the food I’m giving them is too big for her tiny mouth? I’m going to try making it even smaller than I already crushed it some time tomorrow.

Are there any substitutes I can use for NutriDrop that are easily accessible? Is she just runty, or is something seriously wrong?

I have a post on the ’Quail’ forum documenting the growth of Cinni and her hatchmate, Sugar. Cinni is so nice, I really don’t want her to die.

Last edited:
Don't panic yet. You say that she's running around and acting normal, which is a good sign. Have you seen her eat and drink? You could try feeding her some boiled, crushed egg yolk if you don't have access to Nutri-Drench.

Don't panic yet. You say that she's running around and acting normal, which is a good sign. Have you seen her eat and drink? You could try feeding her some boiled, crushed egg yolk if you don't have access to Nutri-Drench.
She does eat and drink, but seems to eat less than Sugar. I'll try with the egg yolk.

Back
Top Bottom