Rusty top shed

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
I built a small coop last winter and have never posted it on here. I was over crowded and needed to expand so threw this together. Not my best work but it has worked out nicely. I put bantam Cochins or Silkies in the pens because they don't fly over the fence.

This could certainly be in the group of ugliest coops. I made the entire thing out of junk I had laying around the farm. It is dry and was not too bad in the winter and has proven to not be too hot during our hot, hot weather right now.

I like that the doors lift up and give them shade during the day or in the winter I kept them pretty low and it kept the wind out of the coop.

9332_front_of_rusty_top.jpg

I just have a single rope that runs from both doors and I wrap the rope around the eye hook between the doors and a loop around the hook above the doors for support. At night I close the doors down and lean a concrete block up against them. It certainly would not keep a bear out. It is only terrace timbers set on the ground with a piece of plywood on top of them and then the frame.

9332_rusty_top_side_view.jpg

The inside on both sides is the same. A roosting board all the way across with a nesting box and their feeder. I would hang the feeders but as it is now I can use a stick to reach in and get the feeder for filling and I have a butterfly net that I usually use to reach in and get the eggs. Once a week I get inside to check for wasp nests and add bedding to the nest box, clean out old food and scrape up a bit of poo on the floor.

9332_rusty_top_inside.jpg

And you can see the hen on the roosting pole on this side of the coop while a rooster is on the other side. Real pain getting that partition put in. That wire did not want to stay where I stapled it but I wanted enough air flow that it would not be stuffy in the summer but a board so they wouldn't fight while on the floor. So far the boys haven't fought while on the roosts, just through the fence outside.

9332_roosting_bar_in_shed.jpg

I am not a good builder but this is a pretty good old rusty top shed for extra space. The pen was already in place as left over dog pen so I just put the shed at the tree in the middle and each side of the coop has a 15x30 ft run. I use a piece of plywood as a make shift door between the pens since the main gate is only on one side.

Good for you for using what was on hand!!! I like your pulley door system, too, sort of gives them a "porch" area.

Honestly, I don't think it's ugly, but I bet painting it would make it look even better.

The only color I have right now is green and I don't care for that color or the shade that it is. I was thinking maybe a baby blue color. It has a piece of red on it right now left over from my first tractor I built years ago. Can you tell I keep scraps around a long time? LOL

Maybe a pale orange? That would be different.
Or I could just see what the store has as extra mixed up on sale. Be my luck it would be powder puff pink!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom