Ruth the good hen

Thank you. I do have a wonderful story of her being broody.
It was last spring and around here we can get some awful monsoon sideways rain. Ruth had been broody for a couple of weeks. We don't have a rooster so no chicks would be hatching. And no matter how much I explain this to her she still sits. Well a bad storm came up and the rain and wind was horrendous. I got home from work and went to check on the girls. Ruth was dutifully sitting in a nest box that was completely soaked. She was soaked to the bone. I could see two eggs that were wet and pushed to the side but when I slowly picked her up, she had rolled one up onto her legs and was keeping it dry. I think she knew she could not "save" them all but she could save one. That's my Ruth.

So once again Ruth has proven to be the best girl. This past Thursday we lost one of the pullets. The little silkie, Pumpkin. This left Polly the polish with nobody to play with. The other girls are between the ages of 2 and 5, past the age of jumping around and play fighting. She has tried to fight with the other girls, with me, with my dogs to no avail. Until today. Ruth stepped up as the playmate for Polly. It's so sweet for her to do that. They will jump around and fight and then Polly just follows Ruth around the yard as they forage.
I'm not sure why I'm shocked because I should have known Ruth knew what Polly needed. She is so amazing.

So once again Ruth has proven to be the best girl. This past Thursday we lost one of the pullets. The little silkie, Pumpkin. This left Polly the polish with nobody to play with. The other girls are between the ages of 2 and 5, past the age of jumping around and play fighting. She has tried to fight with the other girls, with me, with my dogs to no avail. Until today. Ruth stepped up as the playmate for Polly. It's so sweet for her to do that. They will jump around and fight and then Polly just follows Ruth around the yard as they forage.
I'm not sure why I'm shocked because I should have known Ruth knew what Polly needed. She is so amazing.
I just love hens that take care of others in need. :love Chickens are amazing!

I'm sorry you lost a pullet. Ruth is a sweetheart though. :love

Back
Top Bottom