Rye berry poisoning?

deeredawn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Nova, Ohio
Anyone heard of rye berries being poisonous to chickens? I've a customer who is afraid her hens may have had "one too many". Not knowing what a rye berry is, I'm asking the experts here. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Dawn:)
Meyer Hatchery

Rye Berries
NB335331.gif

Rye (Secale cereale) is a grass grown extensively as a grain and forage crop. It is a member of the wheat tribe (Triticeae) and is closely related to barley and wheat. Rye grain is used for flour, rye bread, rye beer, some whiskies, some vodkas, and animal fodder. It can also be eaten whole, either as boiled rye berries, or by being rolled, similar to rolled oats.

Rye Berries are higher in protein, phosphorus, iron, and potassium than wheat. High in lysine, low in gluten, high in fiber. Add cooked berries to soups, salads, breads or breakfast cereals.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/4 cup (42 g)

Nutrient Amount %DV

Calories 140

Calories from Fat 10

Total Fat 1 g 1%

Trans Fat -- g

Sodium 0 mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 30 g 10%

Dietary Fiber 5 g 21%

Protein 5 g

Iron 8%

Not a significant source of saturated fat, cholesterol, sugars, vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium.

I don't see where any of that could be considered toxic and/or poisonous.. unless they were already fermenting.

Last edited:
If the rye wasn't very clean and was infected with ergot it could make the birds sick. Ergot infected berries would be black and sooty.

Wow! Super interesting. I had never heard of a rye berry before and thought it to be exactly that.... a berry. I will forward the information from both of you. Again, many thanks!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom