S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

Thank you me too!!! I have to go get pictures and see how many there are, but I didn't want to disturb her too much... I saw one big fat one this morning while I was feeding! I was surprised how big it was!!!
love.gif
bun.gif

Oh also, what is the standard age you all start breeding your does?

congrats on the babies... looking forward to pictures....

on a side note.... i've decided that the male breeder bunny i have - "hercules" ... must be mostly florida white instead of new zealand... he just isnt big enough to be nz ... i was researching rabbit breeds on the ARBA site... he's gotta be mostly florida white..

WMR, I always check right away, if there are any dead ones get them out, and get a count right away so you know if there are any in trouble or if she is taking care of them, if any come up missing. If you saw one that seemed really big, the litter might be small. I have never had a doe take offense.

Quote:
Breeding age depends on the breed itself... most meat rabbits are medium build... so you can start breeding them at 6 months (you can try the boys even a tad earlier than that but girls need to be at least 6 months) if you have a larger breed rabbit like the flemish Giants then you need to wait till 9 months...

Quote:
i didnt know what a san juan was so i googled it... the only time i saw someone comment on what size the san juan rabbit is was from this quote

"The guy I get them from doesn't have any problem with them during the summers here (and it can get up to the high 80s and low 90s). I think he keeps their hutches in the shade. They are a little jumpier, but they seem to act like normal domestics otherwise, just a lot faster. I think they can get up to around 4-5 lbs."

so... the san juan will get 4-5 pounds if this person is correct... and your rex has a max weight of 10.5 pounds according to the ARBA ... im just getting started with the rabbit thingy... but if i were going to cross something with a rex... it wouldnt be a san juan ... thats just me thinking the offspring wouldnt be all that big....

that being said im having the same thoughts about the male i have that im breeding with my rex... i dont think he's big enough either.....

but whats the worse that could happen... you have one litter thats smaller than you'd like and learn from it? or you actually like the litter it produces and go with it??

either way you learn what you like right?

just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom