S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

I've noticed a few people saying their does are only having 4 to 6 kits. I heard about a little breeding trick from a neighbor who used to raise New Zealand Whites and California Whites commercially that has helped my litter numbers a lot. I breed the doe to the buck, take note of the time. I remove her from the buck's cage, wait 1 hour and put her back in his cage. I'll let him breed her again. This is supposed to keep the oxytocin levels higher in the doe's bloodstream causing her to release more eggs. I rarely have litters of less than 8 and I average 10 kits per litter since I started breeding this way. Does can raise 10 kits with no problem but if she has more I try to foster the extra kits to another doe. I always breed 2 does to 2 different bucks on the same day. This way I always have a foster doe if I need it. Beats having to try to bottle feed kits only to lose them a couple of days later. I hope this helps you guys.

Quote:
we put ours in with the buck 3 times about 6 to 8 hours apart... and normally get large litters... if i had a doe that gives me less than 7 live kits at weening 2 times in a row she gets culled... i used to raise them commercially for pel-freez but ive just got a few for myself now...

Last edited:
pop.gif
caf.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
12 days??

yup... 12 days... we had them out tonight in the house with us... they were climbin around on us and the grey one fell asleep on my shoulder... cool.. and then got the other litter out and held them as well... eric thats why i was asking you if you had older ones... i have babies already

Back
Top Bottom