?s for new chicks & ecoglow 20

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maclady, Oct 16, 2012.

1. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    New chicks born Monday a.m. in outside brooder in coop, no drafts with a ecoglow 20. It will get down to 45 tonight. Will they be warm enough? or do I move the brooder into the garage/house. The coop is split and 3 older girls (6weeks) are in other half. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
    Melissa

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For your setup I would recommend at least 150-200 watts of light/heat with the ability of the chicks to get away from the heat to a cooler area of the brooder for 45 degree temps. If your brooder is very tiny and you might cook them with that much heat or you don't have that much heat output from the ecoglow you might play it safe and put them in the garage.

I am unfamiliar with the ecoglow's wattage/heat output but I hope this helps. What I personally do is turn on from one to three 100 watt bulbs for my chicks, needing three 100 watt bulbs only in wintertime raising of chicks.

I hope someone else chimes in as I am really not the best person to tell you but didn't want you to get no responses at all!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Thank you for your reply. I moved them into the garage and set up a extra large wire dog crate as a brooder for them with the ecoglow 20. They are running around now and not all huddled under it. They go under for a few minutes and then out to eat and drink. I just turned off the light in the garage and they are settling down for the night. I will probably check on them throughout the night. Overkill I know but can't help it and won't be able to sleep anyway so I might as well check and then get some sleep. My older girls were settled in the coop on a low temp perch so they are fine for tonight.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh good! Yes they are so fragile at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by