1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

?'s on failed eggs and a splay legged chick. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LegginMF12, Mar 31, 2012.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Incubator: Brinsea Eco 20
    Total eggs set: 19
    My eggs set: 10
    Shipped eggs set: 11
    Made it to lock down: 9 of mine, 5 of the shipped.

My temps and humidity were spot on for whole incubation period. On day 21 (Thursday) one of my eggs (a BO) pipped, zipped and was out literally in a total of about 15 minutes. The other 7 of my BO's hatched yesterday with no problems. One of my BO's was a quitter somewhere late in the game and one was clear on day 14.
    2 of the Golden Laced Cochins hatched on day 22. One of them pipped on the wrong end, got himself turned around and pipped on the right end. Then one of the chicks drying in the incubator climbed over him tore the membranes and he bled to death. 3 of the 5 Cochins that made it to lock down hatched. On day 22 the 2 unhatched cochins were still alive, rocking and peeping. I eggtopsied and found the one that had pipped and bled to death had a yolk that was only partially absorbed. The other 2 still had yolk sacks outside the body. My last cochin to hatch was pipped for over 24 hrs and shrink wrapped along the head and one wing. ( he was the only chick that had any shrink wrap issues) I helped him out this morning.
    Questions: Why were the yolks unabsorbed so late into incubation? How the heck to you get anything to stick to the legs of a cochin, as the last one to hatch is slightly splayed legged? All them feathers keep getting in the way.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by