Sad about giving away our cockerel

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
One of our chicks ended up being male and can’t have him due to city ordinance. I found a great spot for him south of the city, but feel so torn up about it after bonding with him in particular.

I’ve never had a rooster before, so would love any stories of encouragement like “of course they’re great now but it’s terrible later.” 😅 Thanks in advance, he’s my little buddy and it hurts to think about handing him off. 😭

I’m so sorry. I’ve dealt with the same situation. I can’t keep roosters, and it’s heartbreaking every time. Last year, two of our “girls” (listed as girls from the farm and feed) were cockerels. (Oddly enough, the two straight run chicks weren’t cockerels :confused:)

At first I was hopeful they would be girls. One was named Yuzu, a polish. The other was a Cochin, named Becca. I loved them so much, but then we heard the crowing. Two, loud crows, coming from the garage. They were around 10 weeks old (at that time I didn’t know to pay attention to other signs). So I had to give them away. I kept them for a few more weeks, while I figured out where to give them to. By then, they were meanies. They were totally harassing each other, and the other pullets. It was not good. So they went back to the feed store, where they were sold to someone who would want them. It was really hard, but once it was done, it was done. I still really want a polish and Cochin though.

I’m not sure if this will help you at all, but I’m really sorry. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

My rooster likes to attack my feet when I walk by, I used to catch him and do the push down and head pull back, but that only works for one day. He forgets the next day like the ground hog day movie.

Now, I carry a stick and chase him away before he get any ideas.

He doesn't bite, so I know hes just putting on a show for his hens.

I’m so sorry. I’ve dealt with the same situation. I can’t keep roosters, and it’s heartbreaking every time. Last year, two of our “girls” (listed as girls from the farm and feed) were cockerels. (Oddly enough, the two straight run chicks weren’t cockerels :confused:)

At first I was hopeful they would be girls. One was named Yuzu, a polish. The other was a Cochin, named Becca. I loved them so much, but then we heard the crowing. Two, loud crows, coming from the garage. They were around 10 weeks old (at that time I didn’t know to pay attention to other signs). So I had to give them away. I kept them for a few more weeks, while I figured out where to give them to. By then, they were meanies. They were totally harassing each other, and the other pullets. It was not good. So they went back to the feed store, where they were sold to someone who would want them. It was really hard, but once it was done, it was done. I still really want a polish and Cochin though.

I’m not sure if this will help you at all, but I’m really sorry. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs
This totally helps! Thank you so much for sharing that. Someday you’ll get your polish and cochin. My cochin bantam hen is the biggest sweetheart. ❤️ It’s good to keep in mind that keeping him any longer and his behaviors will change. I’m not sure I’m wanting to see the little dude mount my original flock. 😂 I’m sure he’ll have a great time with his new family. My gut hurts thinking about the day of hand off. 😭

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I've had horrible roosters who belonged in a stew pot, and I've had lovely gentlemen roos worth their weight in gold, you just never know. I believe everything happens for a reason. If you can't keep your cockerel, try to trust that he will go where he is meant to be.

We got Elvis, our first rooster, from a lady who had way more roosters than she needed. He was a Black Jersey Giant but I was a novice and didn't know that at the time, I just thought he was pretty. That's why I named him Elvis on the spot, but the name suited him for another reason - he turned out to be quite the singer! The other roos were beating him up pretty badly. He turned out to be the best guy! He crowed day and night, which I loved. He was gentle with the girls, and they loved him, and he was calm around people. We had him about 4 years or so and I cried when he died.

Your cockerel may be a blessing to someone else, and go off to protect a flock and give joy to someone like my Elvis did for me. Your loss could be another person's gain. 😊

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I've had horrible roosters who belonged in a stew pot, and I've had lovely gentlemen roos worth their weight in gold, you just never know. I believe everything happens for a reason. If you can't keep your cockerel, try to trust that he will go where he is meant to be.

We got Elvis, our first rooster, from a lady who had way more roosters than she needed. He was a Black Jersey Giant but I was a novice and didn't know that at the time, I just thought he was pretty. That's why I named him Elvis on the spot, but the name suited him for another reason - he turned out to be quite the singer! The other roos were beating him up pretty badly. He turned out to be the best guy! He crowed day and night, which I loved. He was gentle with the girls, and they loved him, and he was calm around people. We had him about 4 years or so and I cried when he died.

Your cockerel may be a blessing to someone else, and go off to protect a flock and give joy to someone like my Elvis did for me. Your loss could be another person's gain. 😊
This made me cry last night! Such a beautiful thought. He’s going somewhere with a lot of chickens, but they’re thoughtful about the hen to rooster ratio (have a few farm “gangs” haha). The thing that breaks me up is knowing how much he loves people but won’t have as much human interaction. But I’m probably projecting too much and he really just loves warmth/safety.

I am sorry you had to let him go.

It is hard every time. I have had a few oopsters over the years myself.

They can become really difficult when those hormones kick in. Some are really good at making the keeper bleed. :mad: Some make other flock members bleed.

I had 5 out of 5 straight run be males one year. Four of them were vile nasty things that started attacking my 9 year old son when they were just 12 weeks old. At 13 weeks they attacked my bantam rooster as a group. They nearly killed my little guy. I sold them for less than I paid for them with full disclosure to the buyer.
The one we kept was not the same breed and was a very sweet little guy.

Moving to the city meant no more roosters.

My guy used to really like people until ... he grew up and started taking himself seriously. Now that he is mature, I'm the only one in my fam who he will behave normally around. Since I am his biggest fan, it works out, but roosters certainly can develop little attitudes as they grow! Honestly, your little guy will prob be happiest with plenty of hens, and as @BigBlueHen53 said, will hopefully always be respectful of people thanks to the early trust you built!

Back
Top Bottom