Sad and confused! What's wrong with their feet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenkerri, Jan 8, 2010.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    This is my third time hatching but the first time this has happened. I have had two chicks from two different breeders born with feet they can't stand-on. The feet curl inward and they roll over. It's so pitiful. I already culled the first one and now am facing another culling of the second. What causes this and what is it called? [​IMG]

2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I would try to put a little cardboard boot on their feet first before culling. I don't know what causes it but its worth a try. Just straighten out their toes and tape the foot to the cardboard for a day or two and then take it off. Sometimes it works. Maybe someone else will come along with a better answer.
    Good luck.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Foot problems are frequently caused by incubator problems. It can be genetic, or dietary, but since they are from two different breeders, I would guess an incubator issue. I dont remember what it is, I would have to re-research it, I don't remember things very well sometimes, I think my brain leaks.

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I'm reading a book on bator troubleshooting and for crippled chicks it says. Incorrect temperatures ( usually too high ) Low humidity, Improper egg turning, Insufficient traction on hatching tray. I would try the card board tho.. Worth a try at least. Sorry. I'm waiting out a hatch thats due right now and NOTHING.... Hope hes ok!!

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I agree with MakNat (and jen as well re. incubator issues). There's lots of info on this forum on making a simple fix out of a band aid/cardboard for curled toe in new chicks. Should only need to be done for a day or three.

Here's one website with probably lots more info than you need, but it's worth a bookmark.

http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

I have seen studies linking curled toes to incubator temps as well. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your chick! The sooner you fix, the more chance it will grow up completely normal.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I cut the pad off of band-aids, and I sandwich the foot between the two adhesive pieces. Just make sure the toes are flat when you tape them. Give them extra care, as they may need help getting to the food and water. Three or four days of therapy should do the trick.

7. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I had a little one born with curled up feet -- my mom and I just straightened them out a few times after moving him from the hatcher to the brooder, uncurling them and helping him balance -- and within about 10 minutes, the feet were fine. He was hatched a day early, so may have had a little higher temperature in the incubator.

8. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I feel like I should be paying for all this knowledge! [​IMG]

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    OK, send a check, my paypal address is.............

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:How old are they? Sometimes chicks can't walk for the first day or two after they're hatched -- at least that's what I've noticed. On day 2 or 3 they get strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by