Sad day for me...

Scottingitup

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Crestview, FL
As you may know razzle my fawn n white running duck brooded some eggs for me. There was 1 late comer which i helped out of its shell. Razzle rejected it and there for shamus the house duck was born. He was hyper and vibrated around all the time. I am reasonably sure he was eating and drinking as I showed him how to several times. It appears that he was not, I got home today to find him barely moving. It was too late - I could not save him
hit.gif

He was going to be my first house duck, was even looking at diapers and harnesses earliar today. All the other duckies are imprinted on razzle. Can I duckie nap one for a house duck or is it too late? (4-5 days old)

I used to believe that once a duckling imprinted on a duck that was it, however I believe differently now.
A friend gave me 6 scovie ducklings that were one week old, they had been living on the pond with their mamma that first week (originally there were 10 but something was eating them). Within 3 days of living here in my house those babies would come scrambling when they heard my voice or saw me. The ducklings are now 12 weeks old, I've been out of town for 5 days (got home this evening) and I went outside to feed them supper...the moment I spoke those lil boogers (actually they're big boogers now LOL) all came running at me just singing away. Made me feel so good :) I stayed out there getting my duck snuggles until dark hit and then put them all to bed in their duck house. My husband was taking care of them for me while I was away and they tolerate him but they don't run to him or sing to him..but then he's never attempted to bond with them either.

I'm so sorry you lost your little one and I do understand how easily we fall in love with them.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom