1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad Hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m00res, Dec 11, 2008.

1. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    I rehomed a rooster and a duck today. (Short story:We live in the city and the roo started crowing - Long story: They are in love so I sent them together). Anyway, my poor Barred Rock has lived with them since she was a baby. She seemed fine until dusk when she couldn't find them. She made the saddest call that about made me cry. She paced the coop desperately and just kept calling out to them. It was TERRIBLE! She finally settled down, but I feel so bad for her. Anyone know how to console a sad hen (or a sad hen owner)? They went to an organic nursery with lots of animals and people so I feel good about their new home. She just sounded so sad, it was awful. Poor baby!

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

She needs a buddy, chickens are flock animals. A stuffed animal may help in the short term, but in the long term chickens don't like to be alone.

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Get her a couple buddies ASAP! I have always made sure to have at the very least 4 birds just in case something like this happens. Or if one dies. We had this happen. We had to rehome our sweet boy and we had to send two of our girls with him, because I was afraid that the one might get lonely for another hen in addition to her boyfriend. I know I would go crazy if I had to spend the rest of my life with one just one guy and no friends [​IMG] [​IMG] Anyway, we had two girls left and one got killed. Ellie, was all alone so until we got her some new babies, we took her into the house and let her roost on the chair all evening and then we would take her back to her coupe to sleep. But I was great having her hang out because she is now the tamest chicken ever. You should do this until you get more birds. Get a chicken diaper from My Pet Chicken They love to sit on your lap and snuggle [​IMG] If she could make friends with your dog or cat that would be great too. [​IMG] Let us know how it goes!

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Or...you could give them your hen too and just get new hens? (for your hen's sake)

5. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:This is what I would do, if at all possible. I know you probably don't want to give up your last bird, but it sounds like she's really attached to the other two. If they're already so bonded, wouldn't it be best to keep them all together?

6. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Rooster and a duck?? holy moly!! I agree, she misses THOSE particular buddies! send her along too! If you're too attached than get her some new playmates! [​IMG]

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, give her to the nursery, too.

After one of my two VERY bonded buff orps died, the other was just inconsolable. They really do form very strong attachments.

8. dani813

dani813 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    We're going to be going through this over the weekend. We too, live in an urban area and our polish, Cotton, started crowing this week. We're all so sad, he's such a good boy, but we just can't keep him in the city. I'm hoping his two coopmates will be okay........

9. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    She seems to be doing better now, but we'll see at dusk. We actually have four other flock mates which is why I didn't pass her on, too. She is my favorite girl, but if she ends up too sad I will give her away, too. I have never given any animal away before yesterday. [​IMG]

I made them all a big batch of oatmeal this morning and gave Gee Gee (my 2 year old named her) a big scoop of wormy compost. If they had chicken chocolate I'd give that to her, too. It works for me when I am sad. ;-)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Aw, i'm sure you'll choose whatever is right for her [​IMG]

We had a little guy start fighting with his three brothers, and so he had to be separated until we could re-home him. He'd be fine in his coop all day with his sister, then at dusk they would both pace their run until we moved them both back in with the other three roos...The next morning, the fighting would begin again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by