Sad....Horse gave birth early

I am sorry for your loss. We had an abort that was horrible years ago. I would recommend you taking your mare to your vet for a culture. I would suspect an infection before a dog chasing problem. Pregnant mares are pretty hardy when it comes to running and doing activities. Sometimes a mare can have had an infection that was never cleared properly (either from contamination or confirmation) and it makes carrying a foal to full term hard. Or she could have one now and needs attention. Her health and mind at this point would be of major concern.

Good Luck

Wow.. I am really sorry to read this. I'm sitting here in tears.. I can't begin to imagine how you are dealing with this.

I hope you will take the advice offered, and spend some extra time with her ..to help her with her loss ....and also, have the Vet do some cultures to be absolutely sure she's not harboring any nasty bacteria and/or infection.

Good luck to you ..and her, of course! You'll be in my prayers...
smile.png

sorry about that i had a foal that was too late and he ended up die he was a complet black foal he was goreges

so i know how you feel

Last edited:
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, tragic isn't even a word that is strong enough for the loss of the colt. Some times (from what I understand in cattle) the stud can have a infection, passing it on to the mare. Like I had a friend that had a pregnant horse while talking to her vet, worried that the running would cause her to abort and the vets reply was "pregnancy is a condition, not a disease, in nature, horses ran many times a day". It would be nice to take it out on the neighbors dogs, and if they pass your way, I don't know what I'd do if I was in your shoes. Perhaps a work up by the vet and console your girl, giving extra treats and take her out for some walks or a ride (I don't know if it would help or not) But hang in there, and I hope you can all feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom