Sad Loss! any suggestions?

15239_roundworm.jpg

These are roundworms. According to the internet they can get to over 10 inches long.

Treat with Wazine first. Then treat with Sulment. Do Not treat with the drugs simultaniously.

Give electrolytes and vitamins and plenty of CLEAN water.

Worms, lice and mites are a part of chicken ownership.

Here's a thread with pics of the same type of worm someone else found. They are roundworms and they do look different than the type dogs get.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=112512

Wazine will treat roundworms.

As far as the Cocci, I too have been battling it and have had several hutches of chicks in a row get it. Same symptoms Marie, bloody poop and will die in a couple of days. Also sitting lethargic and ruffled under heat lamp for a day or two before the bloody poop. I'm also stumped because most of these have never touched the ground and have either still been in my bathroom in a new plastic brooder box, or in a separate pen, or in a raised wire bottom hutch. What I did NOT realize is that the Sulmet bottle had several sets of instructions. The first set I read said to treat for two days and that's what I did in the first outbreak. But then the survivors started developing cankers which is also a protozoa so I treated them again. That's when I saw the second set of instructions that said to cut mixture of Sulmet and continue treating for four more days. I'm thinking I didn't treat the first batch of chicks long enough and the protozoa just "morphed". Now I'm treating my last batch of chicks for a full week on Sulmet and so far they are all surviving after showing the initial signs of lethargy.

The irony of all this is that I normally raise all my chicks totally natural and put them out of brooder at one week old and let them start free ranging and hanging out with everyone else - totally on their own. I've never lost a chick or had one get sick. Now it's winter and I'm totally babying them and they are dying left and right, even in my bathroom.

I think chicken round worms are much thinner than dog or horse ones. They are as skinny as angel hair pasta or might be a bit thinner.
Isn't Wazine a one day treatment? Maybe she could do that, then sulmet, then another one day wazine treatment?

Quote:
Round worms are round
smile.png
Most other parasitic worms are flat like tape. Round worms are round like an earthworm, which is why they're called that.
-Spooky

Unless you found that worm wriggling out of the chicken poop, I think that red long worm is probably a free living nematode from the soil (earthworm type), there are MANY types of these- they are often red. It was probably trying to escape from drowning in the wet soil, then you drowned it in medicated water....Roundworms in mammals and birds are usually white, tan or light pink.

Bloody diarrhea and death in young birds introduced to adult birds on soil is almost always coccidia (cocci). It is worse when the ground is wet. Your adult birds are already exposed and immune. Any young birds will get exposed when they are put on the ground. Medicated chick start as well as sulmet in the water does NOT kill the cocci, it just slows them down/prevent reproduction- it allows (hopefully) the new birds to develop immunity before they get sick enough to be symptomatic or die.

In the future, you can help lessen the problem by letting the young birds get older/stronger before introduction, introduce when the soil is dry, keep them on 100% medicated starter for several weeks during the exposure period. Sulmet can be done if you are more concerned, but start BEFORE they are exposed, not after.

When I put my young birds out into the adult area- they are in a large covered x-pen, so the adult birds can see them, but not harass them, and they can have separate food and water from the adults. They are on the same soil, so get exposure to the cocci that is probably there. I start letting them out after 2-3 weeks.

If you want to know if cocci is a problem with your dirt, have a fecal run on any new bird you put in the area. Doing a fecal on existing birds will also probably show cocci, but if they are not symptomatic, treating them is not useful if they are going back to the same environment.

Back
Top Bottom