Sad news...

Pics

Apollos-Quackers

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
If you are a Facebook'er, you can see my public post here.

One of my 5 week old Pekin ducks suffered attack from a Snapper turtle today. I'm being told it can survive with handicap. I have an urgent care appt with an Avian vet, but the cost is WAY beyond my means for a duck that may not have been kept to begin with (will be reducing the flock down to 4-5 once their sex can be determined). Any thoughts/suggestions on treatment or otherwise? Middle toe is stripped to the bone, outer toe looks broken completely with flesh holding intact, and webs are missing between all toes.
20200612_094818.jpg 20200612_094809.jpg

I took the duckling to the vet tonight. The bill was $180 for wound care, antibiotics, pain killers and estimate of amputation ($589). Euthanizing would cost $170-230 because they can't be done intravenously. Bottom line is that I will be researching and trying to decide the most humane way to euthanize it myself because I have no way of knowing if it's a female and if it will lay golden eggs. 😭

If you are a Facebook'er, you can see my public post here.

One of my 5 week old Pekin ducks suffered attack from a Snapper turtle today. I'm being told it can survive with handicap. I have an urgent care appt with an Avian vet, but the cost is WAY beyond my means for a duck that may not have been kept to begin with (will be reducing the flock down to 4-5 once their sex can be determined). Any thoughts/suggestions on treatment or otherwise? Middle toe is stripped to the bone, outer toe looks broken completely with flesh holding intact, and webs are missing between all toes.
View attachment 2191323 View attachment 2191325

Get some Bag Balm. Miracle stuff. If it will heal cow's teats it will heal anything. Get those areas super clean and slathered on that bag balm. Twice a day. Bandage it good. When you see scabs you can leave the bandages off. Scabs are mother nature's bandage and the best bandage of all. Might take a couple of weeks but don't give up. Good luck the duck will come along might be gimpy but at least alive.

Back
Top Bottom