Sad news

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Apr 26, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    my oldest ducklings are now outside full time and my 2 snowy mallards are still inside and my dogs are gated to the back of the house so they dont interact with the ducks. when I was letting the dogs outside to go potty my golden retriever mix bolted and got a hold of one of my snowy mallards [​IMG] There was no hope of saving it. Now the other is so very lonely. I have been letting it follow me around the house (dogs are locked in the back of the house) some but we have laminate floors and its hard for it to get around on so I have been limiting it out of brooder time to the kitchen floor which is textured fiber floor. I am thinking about getting ducky shoes and a diaper for it so that it can come with me in the living room and office.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry to hear the news about your little duck [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    So sorry, that is very sad.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh i am so sorry for you. and your ducky [​IMG]

5. Mallardman

Mallardman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your great loss. I lost two of my mallards to the neighbors dog and my wife and I cried and even gave them a funeral I know how attached you can become with a pet.

6. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Boy oh boy, am I tired of looking at hatcheries online for ducks!!!!!!!!! I don't want 15 ducks and don't want anymore chickens. Can guineas be raised with ducks. Can they be housed with regular chickens? I'm just thinking, if I have to finish out a minimum order maybe I could go with guineas. I have a friend who would like to have some, but I'd probably raise them until they were old enough to be allowed to free range, which is approx what age? Do guineas scratch everything up like chickens other chickens do? If not I wouldn't mind have a few around my yard to eat ticks. Just thinking out loud.

7. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I grew up with them on our farm(guineas) and mom hated 'em anywhere near the garden...the scratched and dusted themselves in it. Plus they are like a watch dog...they cackle and cackle at about anything they see.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  8. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:I am sorry to hear about that. I understand your feelings. When the neighbor dog killed most of my 4 wk old chicks last year I was beside myself for days, even after I'd bought my new birds the same day. There was no funeral. I cleaned everything up and my girls went into a big plastic bag and into the trash dumpster. My 8 yr old granddaughter was by my side as I cleaned up. She was a great support to me. She's my little chicken girl partner. She and I are going to raise us some duckies if I ever get my hands on where to order what I want. UGH!

9. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:Check out Craiglist! I live in the city and there is a strict limit on haw many you can have, so purchasing online what not going to work for me. I checked out craigslist and called a few local breeders and I was SHOCKED at all the exotics that are available in my area. I always meet the breeders (for the first time) in a public place and take a friend with me OR at local Poultry Shows and farmers markets. Since my first purchase I have developed a relationship with one breeder (who I discovered on craigslist) who lives about 30 minutes away and so I actually will visit her property now. I like the idea of supporting a local business woman and not putting my new babies thru the trauma of a long journey in the mail.

Good luck!!

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Update: my lone snowy mallard has earned the name Peepers. it is quite content as long as it can see/ be near me but as soon as i am out of sight it will start peeping its head off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by