Sad Question

Adri_San27

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Pullman, WA
One of my duck eggs in my incubator managed to slip out of its tray. Part of the shell cracked off but the membrane is intact. It's been incubating for a week or so now before this happened. Will it die or should I leave it in the incubator?

Post in incubating and hatching section! I forgot what they recommend in this situation but I know people on there know how to help! Its been done where you can put a "bandaid" on it and put it bakc in the bator.

I dont know about duck eggs, BUT...I dropped one of my chicken eggs and shattered the shell on the big end where the air cell was. The membrane stayed intact. I raised the humidity to keep it good and moist and I left it in the bator anyway and 4 days later it hatched right on schedule.

Quote:
When I was a kid in school, we would color chicks in the egg by drilling a hole in the shell, injecting food coloring into the egg, and covering the hole up with scotch tape.

So, I would suggest that you cover the crack with scotch tape.

You can dip the egg in hot wax, use nail polish, bandage it with tape or a bandaid, or raise the humidity. Depending on how much is left in your incubation period, there's a very good chance the egg will be just fine. The biggest danger is evaporation--with the membrane exposed, it will lose moisture faster than the other eggs, so you need to do something to compensate for it. If you're on the last part of the hatch, though, like the last four days or so, you may not even need to worry about it.

Good luck! I had a duck hatch out of a partially crushed egg in my last incubation period, and she did just fine!

Quote:
And sounds like there would be a nice head start to the pipping process.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom