Sad, rabbit died.

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
We had a dutch rabbit, Trixie for the last 2 years. She was given to us at 3 yr old. For my daughters birthday she got a little baby holland lop Sonya. After we had her a week I noticed her breeding Trixie. I even called the breeder and have her double check that it was in fact a female (We had just gotten a kitten we named Sonya and it turned into a male lol then we got the rabbit.) So I never thought anything about it. I was told it was how they showed dominance. Ok, so a few days ago I noticed Trixie was getting fatter, but I thought it was just that we have had them out more and they are eating grass etc.

So my daughter comes in today crying and says Trixie is dead. I went out there and she was bleeding from her vagina. I said, it is like she is pregnant, so we picked up Sonya and well lets say HE is definitely a HE!

We did not know how long she was dead, so my mother and I (I am almost a midwife and she is a OB nurse) did a csection on her in case the babies were still alive. There were 3 babies in there, but they were not alive.

I am not sure what happened, I assume it was the birth and she was pretty old (we did not want her bred, we were going to breed Sonya, now Sunny, last night we even found a male for her)

I just wish I would have known, maybe I could have done something.

I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

The tendons and ligaments of pelvis stiffen if they don't have kits at a young age. Most older rabbits and guinea pigs require a c section if they weren't bred at the correct age previously. Even with horses we often breed them for a foal at 4-6years and then do competition so that if they turn out to be great mounts they can be retired as broodmares in their old age with less fear of complications over their first foal.

Quote:
I just wish we would have known. I should have checked him again to see if it was a boy but when I had the breeder double check she said he was a girl for sure.

Back
Top Bottom