Sad update about my two new ducks

cheryl98117

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Indianola Washington
I was given what I believe are two Kahki Campbell ducks, a drake and a duck. The drake seems very healthy, but I am a bit concerned about the female. You see her bill is twisted and it looks like her skull is deformed. "I will post pictures later today.

What my question is, Does the female have a chance at a healthy life? Or is her twisted bill going to prevent that for her? Also do any of you think I should feed her a mash instead of solid pellets? Would that benefit her?

This morning Daisy, "the duck with the twisted bill," had a completly freak accident. Work was being done to the coop today, and a piece of plywood was left in the coop. Well the plywood fell on Daisy, there was no sign of daisy struggling, so I am guessing that it killed him/her fairly quikly.

This all happened with in a two hour period. Please everyone, make sure when you are constructing, or renovating your coops, that nobody leaves plywood or any heavy objects leaning against any walls. It is a sad day for my family, and I hope that this will teach someone something. Poor Daisy, R.I.P.

And poor Oliver, he is now alone.

Last edited:
Ok here are Daisy and Oliver, I adopted them yesterday from a friend who thought they would be good pets for her 1 year old son. Am I correct about them being kahki campbells? And if not, then what are they?

Daisy is the female with the twisted bill. And Oliver up until yesterday was thought to be a female as well. So I changed his name from Oliv to Oliver.
smile.png
Both of these ducks have a home for life, I'm just wondering if Daisy has a decent chance at a good life with her bill the way it is. From what I have seen in the past 24 hours, she doesnt seem to have any trouble eating pellets.

daisyandOliver1.jpg

daisyandoliver2.jpg

daisyandoliver3.jpg

daisyandoliver4.jpg

daisyandoliver5.jpg

Daisy1.jpg

daisy2.jpg

daisy4.jpg

daisy5.jpg

daisy6.jpg

I would say that if she seems to eat fine, and given that she's managed to make it this far in life, she's got a really good shot at a very nice quality of life, especially now that you've adopted her and will give her all the love she needs.
smile.png
Does she act like the other ducks, doing duckie things? Does she love the water, quack when there's fresh food, forage for bugs, etc.? If so, then she already has a good quality of life, and there's probably nothing to worry about.

They are adorable. I don't know about breed. They don't look like campbells to me, but I don't have a ton of experience with the breed, so I may be wrong. They are beautiful--even Daisy with her special bill. She's a gorgeous color, and the twisted bill gives her a unique character.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you are so great taking her in like that!
big_smile.png
I think her* might actually be a him*.... He has a dark head like male ducks.. maybe a buff or buff mix drake? What sort of noise does he make? If he quacks/honks then girl (although that would be strange coloration and markings for a girl) and if he makes a sort of raspy 'reep, 'reep' sort of noise, then he is in fact a boy!
big_smile.png
I do think that if he acts happy and can eat and drink and swim and forage and have fun like a normal duck then there is no point in not letting him live a happy life! Best of luck!
smile.png

They are both really sweet, and Daisy doesnt seem to be doing anything different, from my other ducks, actually she is the most vocal duck I have. lol She talks as much as a Pekin would.

The main reason I am concerned is that her previous owner said that her bill has gotten more twisted as she ages. My main concern is her health and comfort above everything else.

Quote:
Well from what I have heard coming from their pen, its been mostly quacks, Oliver has more of a raspy sound to his call than Daisy does. Even if they are both drakes they still have a home. Though I think I might have to get a couple of girls.

Awesome that they both have a new home!

If you can't take her to a vet, then you are going to be the best judge of her quality of life. Like others have said, if she's doing all the ducky things that ducks do, then she's probably doing okay.
smile.png

I didn't see it mentioned yet so I'll go ahead. I wouldn't let her have any babies. That is not something you'd like to pass on.

Oh, and as what to feed her, if she's doing fine with the pellets, keep feeding them to her. Again you're going to be the best judge of what is comfortable for her and what is not.

You're so wonderful to have taken in her in. You'll have to keep up updated for sure!

Quote:
I have absolutly no intention of breeding Daisy, the way I see it, I would be taking way to much risk of passing that on to any offspring.

I am not even sure if Daisy is actually a she. lol I do plan on getting a couple of females for Oliver though. But by the time I do that, I will have them seperated, so that there isnt any chance of daisy breeding or being bred, iether way.

I did have the vet out last night, and she said pretty much what everyone else did. Just watch him/her and to keep feeding pellets, unless Daisy starts to loose weight, then we will take another look and decide from there.

But from what I have seen so far, Daisy is very healthy, if not a bit odd looking.

Back
Top Bottom