Sad wrinkly looking comb and face

BrittanyL15

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
This is my 8 month old RIR girl Hei Hei. She had what I thought was a bout of vent gleet about 2 or 3 months ago that cleared up within a week so I'm not sure if its related but thought it was worth mentioning. I've noticed the last few weeks her comb has been looking more and more sad almost like its shriveling up. Today when I went into the run to give them some scratch after our really cold night I noticed her face feathers look a bit sparse and a bit white. Are these new feathers on her face? What could be going on with her? I attached a current picture and also a picture of her from the end of October. Some other things that could be related or could not since I dont know who the culprit is, the droppings I am finding in the coop and run are GIGANTIC...like, shockingly large lol. Also, I have found 2 eggs in the last week that have been dropped from the roost onto the droppings board that seem to be thin shelled eggs but its hard to tell because they cracked upon landing and then froze. Idk what that could be about. I feed them dumor organic layer crumbles, they have sand and oyster shells in the run, I give them scratch a couple times a week before or after a super cold night, I use a heated waterer and I refill with fresh E/O morning but I also give them fresh warm water after super cold nights. Hope thats enough info! Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20201229_093842.jpg
    20201229_093842.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201023_102440.jpg
    20201023_102440.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 17
Her comb and face may be paler and the skin dry and flakey due to the decreased daylight hours. That is normal when not laying in winter. But favus, a fungal disease can cause white chaulky skin that can spread to feathered areas. Favus can be treated with miconazole or clotrimazole cream applied daily. Dry skin can be left alone or you can use a little coconut oil. Beware that creams and ointments can freeze in low temperatures which can lead to frostbite, so don’t put it on very thick.

Her comb and face may be paler and the skin dry and flakey due to the decreased daylight hours. That is normal when not laying in winter. But favus, a fungal disease can cause white chaulky skin that can spread to feathered areas. Favus can be treated with miconazole or clotrimazole cream applied daily. Dry skin can be left alone or you can use a little coconut oil. Beware that creams and ointments can freeze in low temperatures which can lead to frostbite, so don’t put it on very thick.

She doesn't look white at all today but I can see a lot more of her skin. Do these look like pin feathers?

Attachments

• 20201230_153541.jpg
    20201230_153541.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201230_153552.jpg
    20201230_153552.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom