Saddle question??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Almost all of my chickens have a bald line right above their tails and I assume this is because of the rooster. My question is is the saddles neccessary since no one seems to be pecking the others and if they need them does every single hen need one? I've heard others say they have A hen that needs a saddle but i don't think i've heard of ALL of them needing one? ANY info would be great.

2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    If you are sure it is not lice and just from the roo, than I would think that any hen that has the issue would benefit from the saddle. I have three hens with a bare spot above their tails and I literally just came back inside from examining them with a magnifying glass to make sure it wasn't lice! Two hens already had saddles but I added one to the third gal a few minutes ago, after cleaning and applying Blue Coat. I hope this helps! I've never seen one of my hens pecking each other and the coop is more than large enough, so I too am assuming it is the busy, busy roo! [​IMG]

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Why did you apply Blue Coat?

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Blue Kote, helps keep the Hens from pecking and also contains stuff to help keep infection away.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I put saddles only on the ones that needed it...seemed my roo had his favorites. In doing that, none of the others required one, meaning he didn't start tearing apart other hens.

6. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Blue Kote and saddles--- mine are molting and look so scraggly [​IMG] Had to cover the bare spots.... Saddles really help and Blue Kote seems to stop picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by