saddles and roo socks

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I wonder if there's a way to put some kind of socks on my roo instead of saddles on my hens. Has anyone tried this?
I looked online and all I got were rooster socks for people, LOL

I hadnt thought of that. Socks, huh. How would they stay on. I could try to make them if you give me an Idea. I made the saddles, I can make socks! I do manicure/clip my roosters nails sometimes, and my sons suggested rubber tips for their nails, I had to put a stop to it when we started getting goofy about the designer colors and rooster fashion stuff.
They put tips on cat nails, I bet roosters could have tips on their nails to make it easier on the hens too, but maybe they would just slip off?

Well, we could glue on tips, but I worry about fungus, like in humans. I was thinking about some tough but breathable material, maybe like sunshade, or something softer. Sew them to kinda look like a sock, then spray that rubberizing spray on the bottom and tip, and hold them on with velcro around their legs . The velcro would allow for adjustment. Velcro that is about 1/2 inch wide.
Do you have some ideas?

Have you ever seen a cat or dog with tape on the bottom of its feet? This just gave me such an image.....but I'll try a drawing and see what I come up with? Not sure about the materials, umm, or how cooperative my roosters will be, but I'm game!! HaHaHa!

Well, my drawing skills on Paint are not the greatest, I promise I sew better! How's this:
RoosterSocks.jpg

And where would I get the spray rubber stuff? Is it safe for the pets? Sounds like fun!

Last edited:
Interesting! I like it. I will have to look for the spray on rubber. It dries so it's safe. It would be good for traction. And you have models in the back yard, LOL. And so do I. I think it will be fun.
If the toes don't work, trying all toes in one might be worth trying.
I'm trying to picture my roos running around in socks, LOL. It's even funnier than saddles.

In the automotive industry there are 2 products worth considering for the botom coating.

one is rubberized undercoating, the other is a chemical dip used to dip tool handles in that gives a flexible vinyl coating.

Rooster socks would be awesome (just because I'd want to see bright pink rooster socks on some big, fat angry-looking leghorn... ha ha ha ha ha...).

Seriously, though, that's a cool idea. Have you thought about how the socks might affect behaviors like scratching or roosting?

Quote:
The pink sock visual, LOL. Well, they can still scratch and roost. Or at least they'll think they're scratching. And we're thinking on something that is meshy or breathable on the top, and kinda rubbery on the bottom, and velcro around the leg.
And I'm not going to feel sorry for my roos that can't scratch very will in pink socks- my girls don't like the breeze on their naked back, LOL
big_smile.png

Feel free to add ideas

Back
Top Bottom